Officers Doeskin Jacket Questions, Male vs Female, Field Use

huntssurplus

A couple questions about the Officers Doeskin Mackinaw Style Jacket;

Were there any other distinguishing differences between the Female and the Male versions of this coat besides the buttons being on the left vs the right? 

Also, how common were these worn in the field. I see them commonly being worn by staff officers, generals, and higher grade field officers, but how about at the Platoon, Company, and Battalion levels? Referring mostly to Infantry, Combat Engineer, Artillery, and other combat officers specifically here. 

Thanks!
Hunt

Hunt, I bought an Officer's  Mackinaw from a family along with the foot locker, He was a 2nd Lt. and wore it in England. It's not patched, it has no indications of rank on it, it has no indications of being field worn. It looks like something he wore because it's cold in England.

Hunt, I bought an Officer's  Mackinaw from a family along with the foot locker, He was a 2nd Lt. and wore it in England. It's not patched, it has no indications of rank on it, it has no indications of being field worn. It looks like something he wore because it's cold in England.

Thanks for the comment! Was he an infantry officer? Also were the buttons on the right? And if it has a label what does the label say?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coat was made by "Nudelman Bros. of Portland / Seattle "and states "Uniforms men's wear" on the tag. On this coat you can button right or left. I'll have to dig the footlocker out to see if it has any more info on it. The inside pocket tag says "made expressly for" but that's not filled out, so it is a custom made coat and that is correct as Officers paid out of pocket for uniforms.

Oh okay so it can be buckled either way. I wonder if Female officers had a different type of coat in regulation. Does it have the brown "Official Army Officers Overcoat" tag on the outer part of the inside pocket on the right hand side as well? 

The enlisted has a Jan 45 Philly QM tag on the bottom inside liner. The patch's were removed, but the thread from them indicate it belonged to someone who was at least a Master Sgt. and was still in the service about the time of the Korean war as the indications are it had both the smaller and larger service stripes sewn on.