Thoughts on WWII WAVES dog tag

David Minton

I picked up a set of dog tags attributed to an obscure, yet historically significant US Navy WAVE from WWII. Dog tags are outside of my area of experience, and I have a slight concern of authenticity.

Dr. Achsa Bean was one of only 57 WAVES commissioned in the Navy Medical Corps during WWII. She is documented to be among the first three, and I have seen at least one modern US Navy document that credits her as actually being the first female medical doctor in the US Navy.

The tag has a mirror finish (the dark spots are reflections of the camera lens). As a naval officer who would have never left the US I am not sure how much of a concern this is. As an officer in the Medical Corps is it conceivable she didn’t wear them all the time? There does appear to be some very minor wear from the right hole, however. I also don’t know enough to know how the lettering, and blank look, and hope to get feedback from the experts in the forum.

If you need additional photos, let me know.

29369cb6e810e782d08e5a57a47a5a0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see why you're concerned. It looks almost new but i see little pitting as well. I havent seen anybody pressin WWII USMC/USN tags with the right letters or machine yet so id give this a chance. Maybe it was cleaned up or polished causing it to shine like that ?

Nice tag, it looks ok to me. It may have been polished somehow to make it look like that on purpose. Women wore their dog tags as bracelets sometimes. So it could very well have been done on purpose to look more fashionable on the wrist. But whatever the reason, it does look authentic.