WWII liners re-painted

akriener

I've come across a couple interesting helmets and liners and it got me questioning. Often we see WWII liners repainted in a glossy green for use in Korea. That being said, are there known cases of these re-painted liners being used in WWII? I would assume late war if so.

Here is one matching set belonging to SIDNEY R. CHOMSKY 42163473 enlisted 3 January 1945, don't have a discharge date. He was assigned to 4th army which never saw deployment or combat. The seller of this says the insignia is hand painted.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

Thats a real helmet. Congratulations !

Someone here can check me if I'm wrong, but I think after the war ended, since combat was over, they wore the liners for a lot of things since they did not need the steel... and they had the time and wanted them to look good. You see a lot of these kind of liners in the 50's and 60's too. Where they took the time to paint them and unit mark them and gloss coat them.

Im not 100% on that though. It may have been done during the war too, but I think they were all too busy to be messing with decoration on the helmet liners.

Pretty sure its a post war thing.

8 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

Thats a real helmet. Congratulations !

Someone here can check me if I'm wrong, but I think after the war ended, since combat was over, they wore the liners for a lot of things since they did not need the steel... and they had the time and wanted them to look good. You see a lot of these kind of liners in the 50's and 60's too. Where they took the time to paint them and unit mark them and gloss coat them.

Im not 100% on that though. It may have been done during the war too, but I think they were all too busy to be messing with decoration on the helmet liners.

Pretty sure its a post war thing.

I haven't actually bought this one yet. Kind of suspect of the private symbol painted on. Seems an odd symbol to paint for such a low rank. I'm kind of a purist so I've yet to buy an M-1 that has a painted up liner like that. But suspect you may be right.

that looks pretty consistent with other 4th army helmet liners ive seen. a very nice looking set. i think the 4th army was primarily logistics stateside, so im not really sure if they would have seen combat anyways 

Burning Hazard
10 hours ago, akriener said:

I haven't actually bought this one yet. Kind of suspect of the private symbol painted on. Seems an odd symbol to paint for such a low rank. I'm kind of a purist so I've yet to buy an M-1 that has a painted up liner like that. But suspect you may be right.

Really nice helmet and I really want it.

Pfc ranks were painted on M1 helmets in late WWII and all the way into Korea; both photos taken in Germany in 1945.

pfc Painted Helmet 2 Germany 1945.jpg

PFC Painted Helmet.jpg

Burning Hazard

Don't worry, been watching in since it was first posted on eBay :)

Guessing it will jump to $400+ USD in the last few seconds and, because of COVID, I have champagne taste on a beer budget...

Pat

Don't worry, been watching in since it was first posted on eBay [emoji4]

Guessing it will jump to $400+ USD in the last few seconds and, because of COVID, I have champagne taste on a beer budget...

Pat

If you want I can go after it and you do split payments to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a very nice helmet!

Im more accustomed to see white painted name and serial numbers on post war helmets.

It looks like the 4th Army insignia is hand painted which makes it that more desirable.

Check the steel pot for a name.

That’s a very nice helmet!

Im more accustomed to see white painted name and serial numbers on post war helmets.

It looks like the 4th Army insignia is hand painted which makes it that more desirable.

Check the steel pot for a name.

I can’t, I didn’t buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk