Earliest Mitchell cover and NOS Strap.

The Rooster

Greetings to all.

I was able to get this Mitchell cover and NOS Mitchell Pattern canvas pack strap.

I have a Dec 59 cover but I think this is from the very first batch ?

Ive never seen the strap before. Not familiar with it.

sbvA.jpg

avs.jpg

vew.jpg

qf.jpg

s.jpg

csa.jpg

21 minutes ago, patches said:

Nice pick up. That Leaf Pattern Strap is very interesting. Marines right, perhaps as a pack strap???

I just found a seller on ebay selling these.

Here is their description

Early Vietnam Era USMC Blanket Strap Set w/Mitchell Camo Pattern - MINT Unissued Condition 

Up for Auction is an Early Vietnam Era USMC Blanket Strap Set in the Mitchell Camo Pattern.  This is a two strap set.  They were used to secure blankets, sleeping bags and ponchos.  Often times they were used to secure items to the Rucksacks.   

This is a Vietnam Era accessory that is often overlooked or forgotten about in most Vietnam Era Collections.

13 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

I just found a seller on ebay selling these.

Here is their description

Early Vietnam Era USMC Blanket Strap Set w/Mitchell Camo Pattern - MINT Unissued Condition 

Up for Auction is an Early Vietnam Era USMC Blanket Strap Set in the Mitchell Camo Pattern.  This is a two strap set.  They were used to secure blankets, sleeping bags and ponchos.  Often times they were used to secure items to the Rucksacks.   

This is a Vietnam Era accessory that is often overlooked or forgotten about in most Vietnam Era Collections.

Will you get two more to make the set of straps.

As HERE

The thing is, I have seen pictures, films from Vietnam since it was happening when I was a kid.

And I never saw any hint of any Mitchell pattern equipment except for the covers.

Everything was OD. Maybe someone on here knows. Which is like saying... Its cold at the north pole ! lol

Do you think maybe the cargo straps were a late war thing that were never issued ?

All the ones i am seeing are NOS. And that plastic buckle ...... 70's ???

Ohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201109/975d7e1d012ba0c50553ad760b8f9463.jpg
PHere’s a lid I picked up years ago at Long Beach flea market.
I bought it because of the equipment strap that I thought was unique as it appeared to be on the cover-helmet for a very long time due to fading and wear.
Helmet is 68 dated and sweatband Appears earlier.
Cover is married to the metal.
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201109/4d538446cd31d25d9a54b50862174615.jpg

1 hour ago, The Rooster said:

The thing is, I have seen pictures, films from Vietnam since it was happening when I was a kid.

And I never saw any hint of any Mitchell pattern equipment except for the covers.

Everything was OD. Maybe someone on here knows. Which is like saying... Its cold at the north pole ! lol

Do you think maybe the cargo straps were a late war thing that were never issued ?

All the ones i am seeing are NOS. And that plastic buckle ...... 70's ???

There were actually mitchell pattern shelter halves made for the Marine Corp in the 50s. Looks like these straps are for securing those mitchell pattern shelter halves. The last picture shows a Marine carrying one in Vietnam.

11.jpg

DSC_6553-678x381.jpg

DSC_6554.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Marine_da_nang.jpg

That frogskin one is awesome !! Im surprised I never noticed these before ? But they are cammoed .. lol

Those shelter halfs are awesome as well !

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I was able to pick up these two items this weekend. Another Feb 59 Mitchell cover

and another December 59 Mitchell cover with a helmet.

These covers are at least still somewhat affordable.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

s-l64.jpg

x.jpg

1 hour ago, sgtdorango said:

Nice score, the 1959 covers are getting harder to find lately👍🏻....mike

Hey thank you Mike. I'm thinking one of these days in the near future, they may become as scarce a WW2 covers..... ?

Im guessing they prob did not make as many as the WW2 covers ?

Great Mitchell pattern video from Uniform History on youtube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1GvW7yoXWI

Here's a Marine Pot Savage Sailor posted 4 years back with the camo strap as a band.

Salvage Sailor

Posted December 22, 2016

Nice 'field expedient' photos of different straps.....and I had this Mitchell strap on mine over the inner tube band.

image.png.d684e60a74268c729744ca161bb7f4fd.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• 2 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Not a Marine pot, that's mine from my landing party gear.  Has an innertube band that I covered with the Mitchell strap. 

The topic is buried in the way yonder old forum archived posts around '08

IMG_1868.jpg.a8a67a0d3da8e36891becb0a11e2e001.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 11/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, kammo-man said:

Ohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201109/975d7e1d012ba0c50553ad760b8f9463.jpg
PHere’s a lid I picked up years ago at Long Beach flea market.
I bought it because of the equipment strap that I thought was unique as it appeared to be on the cover-helmet for a very long time due to fading and wear.
Helmet is 68 dated and sweatband Appears earlier.
Cover is married to the metal.
Owen

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201109/4d538446cd31d25d9a54b50862174615.jpg

Owen,

Do you still have the photos of this helmet and if so, would you repost them

Aloha

Salvage Sailor

Rooster asked what the straps were used for and what he posted is on the right track ... (Sorry, no link, couldn't find the old topic with Craig P, etc.)

When I got the helmet on board, it had a black inner tube band on it.  The Mitchell straps were in my butt pack but they were used to tie down the shelter half, ground cloth, poncho, etc. and they came in pairs.  That didn't matter to me because my hootch floated & I didn't have those, only my helmet, web gear the camo liner and the straps.  So I used one of them on my helmet just because it looked good and still have the other one too along with my gear.

MitchellCoveronLiner2.jpg.129ced4744159acb5b90e7357054618f.jpg