Colt Commando or S&W Victory?

BryanJ

I have an opportunity to purchase a Colt Command or a Victory (both 4”) but not both.  If you had an opportunity to buy one or the other, which would you buy and why?

Is the Colt Commander a milsurp?

I like milsurps and I like Victories.

The Commander would be a much less common Milsurp, but if it’s a commercial then go with Victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It you mean a Colt Commando, not Command or Commander, then it could be US issued or a DSC gun just like the Victory Model.  My choice would depend on condition and shipping destination.

It’s a 1942 Colt Commando, SN 7954, probably 85% finish, with ordnance flaming bomb stamp.  Very nice condition.  Victory is in similar condition.  

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

Check out the Victory stocks to see if they have the s/n stamped on the inside surfaces.  I'd tend to go with the early Commando if the "Coltwood" stocks are in excellent condition. Fewer issued.  You can always buy another Victory in comparable condition later on.

There were approx. 45,000 Commando revolvers delivered to the military during WWII, compared to over 350,000 Victory revolvers. I would go with the military-proofed Commando. You can always find a Victory revolver at a later date.

And the 4” Victory is the most produced barrel length of the Victories. So the Colt and Victory are NOT an Apples to Apples comparison.

Victories are out there. Get the Colt.

IF it was a 2” Victory.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm a S&W guy, so I would go with the Victory. Just personal preference I suppose. Collectability wise, the Colt will probably be worth more in the end because of the much lower number of them produced.

I could be mistaken, but my impression is most of the Colts were used Stateside by factory security guards and the like. Victory models were similarly used, but a lot of them were also used in combat by the Navy. The Colt is more rare and certainly a desirable collector’s piece,  but the Victory has more history behind it. Given similar condition and originality I would  prefer the Victory Model.

1 hour ago, ottodog8 said:

I could be mistaken, but my impression is most of the Colts were used Stateside by factory security guards and the like. Victory models were similarly used, but a lot of them were also used in combat by the Navy. The Colt is more rare and certainly a desirable collector’s piece,  but the Victory has more history behind it. Given similar condition and originality I would  prefer the Victory Model.

No offense but your are mistaken.  Both revolvers were used in combat and both were purchased by LEOs and defense contractors through the DSC.  Here's one example of a Commando shipped to the OSS:  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882204129

There were 65,000 of the Navy-marked Victory revolvers made, still more than the military contract Commando. But of all the Victory wartime revolvers, they are by far the most desirable. I looked for quite a while before I found mine.

Victory Left.jpg

Victory Topstrap.jpg

Thanks. Of course, what was equally hard to find was the Navy-marked shoulder holster and Navy-marked ammo pouch to go with it.

Holster 2.jpg

Navy Pouch Inside.jpg

Well, here’s where I’m leaning - I originally thought I’d get the Colt because they were less common, and therefore more collectible in the long run.  However, as I’ve heard from comments on this thread, sounds like the Victory may actually have a better (potential) military history than the Colt.  Leaning toward Victory...  

6 hours ago, silverplate said:

Thanks. Of course, what was equally hard to find was the Navy-marked shoulder holster and Navy-marked ammo pouch to go with it.

Holster 2.jpg

Navy Pouch Inside.jpg

Wow! You have the trifecta! That's outstanding.