Imperial Order of the Dragon membership badges

KevinBeyer

All,

I am writing an article for the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America on Imperial Order of the Dragon membership badges.  For this article I have examined more than 30 I.O.D. membership badges.  Each official I.O.D. badge is supposed to have the member number stamped on it from the badge maker.  And, in all of the genuine examples I have studied, this is the case.

That being said, I had a question about official badges.  "What happened when a member had a badge lost, stolen, or damaged?"  Did they request a replacement badge and one was special ordered with their member number stamped on it?  That does not seem likely given the expense of making badges.  What seems more likely is that there was a small number of badges that came from the manufacturer without any member number stamped on it.  Or, perhaps, a member was issued one badge and no more.

My question for the community is this:  Does anyone have an example of an official Imperial Order of the Dragon membership badge that has no member number stamped on it?  And, if so, would you mind talking with me about it for inclusion in my OMSA article?

Please assume that I have exhausted all possible internet searches on variations on the words Imperial, Order, Dragon, badge, and medal.  If there is a website out there that talks about I.O.D. badges, I've seen it.  I promise you, I've seen it.  I am asking for help from people who actually own, or have previously owned, or know someone who owns, or previously owned, an original Imperial Order of the Dragon membership badge without a member number stamped upon it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

Ok, all.

I submitted my article to OMSA yesterday.  I sincerely appreciate the help given to me by Forum members.  They tell me that the article is in the cue and is likely to get published in the next 3-4 issues.  If anyone is interested in reading it, I can let you know when it sees print.

Kevin

Thanks!

For those that may be interested in reading it, I'll be sure to let people know when it gets published.  I learned a lot while researching the Imperial Order of the Dragon.  They were an interesting mix of veterans and their insignia were a cut above the rest.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

If anyone is interested, my article on Imperial Order of the Dragon membership badges was published in the Sept-Oct 2021 edition of the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America.  The inspiration to write the article came when I obtained this IOD badge in its original box.  If you ask me, the IOD badge is one of the best designed membership badge of any veterans' organization.

Figure_10.jpg.423fe3e83db74ed604dade78e26c8d96.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just found an Imperial Order of the Dragon piece of ephemera that I've never encountered before.  It appears to be a dinner program from the Eighth Annual Foregathering and Dinner of the Great Yamen.  These must have been amazing reunions for members of the IOD.

IOD_1915_Invitation_01.jpg

IOD_1915_Invitation_02.jpg

IOD_1915_Invitation_03.jpg

IOD_1915_Invitation_04.jpg

IOD_1915_Invitation_05.jpg