WW2 WAC jacket button?

AZPhil

Hello All,

I was going through my Aunt Annie's uniforms and I guess I missed it, but I have one jacket that dos not have any buttons on it.

I think its the worsted wool type

These have the eyelets sewn around the holes so I know I can use the type that attached with the retaining rings. The picture is of the same jacket, just looks darker.

My question is .

Do I need to find the brown plastic buttons or will this use the metal gilded one's for this jacket?

Thanks for looking.

117297055_WACjacet.jpg.31c182b11f9e687668a8c9cce889c99e.jpg370281323_WACbuttonhole.jpg.f6d1463980f10b804429c286be706db5.jpg

US Victory Museum

The answer is... It depends.

If the coat still retains a label, it will either indicate it is a coat for WAC, or for WAAC.   *IF* it indicates WAAC, *AND* you wish to

represent how this would have appeared in the time period between May 1942 and Jul 1943, then you may choose to display it

with the synthetic brownish buttons; however, if the label indicates WAC, then you would only use the army metal buttons.

If it was originally a WAAC uniform blouse, but you're using it to display a period after Jul 1943, then it would still be displayed

with the metal buttons.

Thank USVM,

That is great information. She was a WAAC prior to becoming a WAC.

I'll have to check again for tag's, I did not see any when I took it out and saw I needed buttons for this one.

But having the SSgt chevrons that would put her in the latter part of her service as a WAC.

So metal one's for this one.

Are the metal buttons the same for male and female uniforms ?

Or do I need to look for specific WAC buttons?

Semper Fi

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I just wanted to say Thank You to Mr.Jerry for the buttons.

They arrived several days ago, But I needed to get some button split pins to mount them.

Well they showed up in todays mail and I took to it immediately. 

I am going to change Annie over from her Green wools display to tropical when the new year comes around to change it up for 2021!!

2143156912_anniejacketbuttonclose.jpg.765f5d80f49f268d6b77a9858c4289e0.jpg335038332_anniejacketfullgood.jpg.fc38a45c47b49ff1455f26f3245c1090.jpg

Thank you again!

Semper Fi

Phil

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

I ran across a WAC collar disk and it had me wondering if I need one for this jacket.

May I get your thoughts on that?

Semper Fi

Phil

Rakkasan187

Phil,

This is the WAC collar brass insignia, It would be appropriate for your Aunt's uniform..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty  

Phil,

The buttons for the men's and women's jackets were the same.

Great looking uniform of your aunt's!

...Kat

Not always.  WAAC buttons featured the "walking eagle" just like the cap badge.  I used to own a men's overcoat with plastic buttons featuring the Great Seal of the US, but one of the smaller shoulder loop buttons was a WAC walking eagle button.  I'm probably the only one that ever noticed.

Thank you Smitty. 

Greatly appreciate the help.

I went ahead an bought it and I found and bought a US device made the same way and its very good condition.

If the patina matches up I'll add them both to her uniform.

Hello Steve,

Thank for your input.

But even though my Aunt was a WAAC. This uniform is her SSgt uniform and she was a WAC at that time.

Thanks Again!

Stay Safe and Take Care!! 

Semper Fi

Phil

On 3/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, Steve B. said:

Not always.  WAAC buttons featured the "walking eagle" just like the cap badge.  I used to own a men's overcoat with plastic buttons featuring the Great Seal of the US, but one of the smaller shoulder loop buttons was a WAC walking eagle button.  I'm probably the only one that ever noticed.

Correct but he was asking about WAC buttons because he thought this uniform was from when she was a part of the WAC not from her earlier service.  The WAAC buttons were a type of bakelite/plastic buttons with the walking eagle. Once the WAAC became a part of the military, they wore the same metal buttons as the men. 

...Kat

4 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Thanks guys.  I get confused between WAC and WAAC sometimes.  Okay...most of the time.😬

No worries! We all do!