35th Infantry Division Rangers

thorin6

I have had this diploma for many years; my father passed in 2008 at the age of 90.  I just recently uncovered the news article in the Camp Rucker reporter, and given the questions I've read about how these Infantry Division Ranger Schools were run, I thought I'd post a copy of the article.  The school was 12 days long, very physically oriented, and taught by 81st Infantry Division soldiers that had been through 2nd Army Ranger school.  Less than a month after graduating from the school (my father was a medic at the time), my father went on to OCS, graduating there in September 1943 and reassigned to the 320th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division.  His unit landed at Omaha Beach on 6 July (D plus 30) and he was in D Company, 1st Battalion, in charge of a section of 81mm Mortars.  He eventually ended up in the S&S Company of the Regiment, serving to the end of the war.  He was one of 14 officers (out of 78) that finished the war with the same regiment.  As far as I know, he did not wear any tab or other identifying patch indicating going through the training.

Ranger Diploma Dad.jpg

Ranger Article 2001a.jpg

Ranger Article 1003a.jpg

Very interesting.  I am just starting to read up on the early formation of the Rangers (1942) and was not aware of the Ranger Schools.

Thanks for posting.

17 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Very interesting.  I am just starting to read up on the early formation of the Rangers (1942) and was not aware of the Ranger Schools.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comment.  The purpose of the post was to provide some information about these Division Ranger School.  As noted, the school was not run by the 35th Infantry Division but by soldiers from the 81st, who were trained by 2nd Army.