Ebay Marine lid

Costa

i caught this lid. estate find seller sez and it looks to be all original, non played with. swivel bail-- front or rear seam??? liner appears to be early ww2. im betting on WW2-- Korea. many of you  saw this for sure.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Nice looking salty usmc rig, cover looks like it might be a 53...did you buy it?...maybe its a ww2 slits in the flaps cover hopefully👍🏻....very nice honest set either way....mike

Can’t see an EGA stamp so cover has a chance of being WWII issue.

Overall a nice lid depending on the price.

Costa, have you won the auction? 

It got sold for 1122$.

To me it also looks solid and salty! Can’t see a EGA too. 

ill let you all know. the seller lives close to me should get here by Saturday. i took it for it was not played with. you can tell that by the cover---tight fitting and wrinkle free. no globe/anchor could be ww2. the liner is and the A washers look to be raw metal. when i get it i will look it over. the seller didnt take the liner out of the pot so that will tell alot to.

1 hour ago, Costa said:

ill let you all know. the seller lives close to me should get here by Saturday. i took it for it was not played with. you can tell that by the cover---tight fitting and wrinkle free. no globe/anchor could be ww2. the liner is and the A washers look to be raw metal. when i get it i will look it over. the seller didnt take the liner out of the pot so that will tell alot to.

looking forward to seeing this one, leather chinstrap is tucked under so who knows what you might have. Looks untouched to me 

Im rooting for you on this one Costa ! 

good luck brother and I hope it’s a killer lid for you 

• 2 weeks later...
Burning Hazard
3 hours ago, Sparty On said:

Looks like the original seller “dom2win” has it listed on eBay again. Did you return the helmet to him?  

"dom2win" and location New Jersey; wonder if that's our former USMF member Screamingeagles101?

FT.Monmouth1943

I think you are all looking into this too much. When costa originally bought this helmet for over $1100, he probably thought it was an untouched WWII USMC helmet. When he got it and realized it was a post-Korean war helmet, he most likely returned it because let’s face it, a stateside late 50s Marine helmet is not worth anything near $1000+. This is why shelling out that much money for a helmet with bad photos is not a good idea. Simply asking for more photos could have avoided all of this.

- Jakob

USMC-RECON0321
On 11/23/2020 at 1:11 AM, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

I think you are all looking into this too much. When costa originally bought this helmet for over $1100, he probably thought it was an untouched WWII USMC helmet. When he got it and realized it was a post-Korean war helmet, he most likely returned it because let’s face it, a stateside late 50s Marine helmet is not worth anything near $1000+. This is why shelling out that much money for a helmet with bad photos is not a good idea. Simply asking for more photos could have avoided all of this.

- Jakob

That's not a reason to return it.  Unless the seller mislead the buyer.  He took a chance and it didn't work out.  You win some you loose some.    If it would've turned out to be a famous IWO vet set worth $$$$, would the buyer send the seller more money after figuring it out?  LOL  

Now on the other hand, if the seller is indeed "Screamingeagles101", he also knows exactly what he had and why he listed it the way he did, hoping someone would go after his scam, hook, line and sinker, take a chance on it and pay way over what it was worth.    If this is the case, I would send it back also and warn everyone, because we know that is his usual MO of deception and lies on his part and not just some picker who really didn't know what they were selling. 

FT.Monmouth1943
47 minutes ago, USMC-RECON0321 said:

That's not a reason to return it.  Unless the seller mislead the buyer.  He took a chance and it didn't work out.  You win some you loose some.    If it would've turned out to be a famous IWO vet set worth $$$$, would the buyer send the seller more money after figuring it out?  LOL  

Now on the other hand, if the seller is indeed "Screamingeagles101", he also knows exactly what he had and why he listed it the way he did, hoping someone would go after his scam, hook, line and sinker, take a chance on it and pay way over what it was worth.    If this is the case, I would send it back also and warn everyone, because we know that is his usual MO of deception and lies on his part and not just some picker who really didn't know what they were selling. 

I completely agree with you. I think returning a helmet because a gamble didn’t pay off is a horrible practice, and it is probably the reason why Costa is not responding to anyone on this thread. Not trying to defend what he did at all, just calling it out.

As for suspecting the seller of being “Sreamingeagles101”, I think that is a bit far fetched. The person selling the helmet rarely has any military items for sale. In the photos, nothing looks wrong with the helmet. It’s a WWII liner and shell with a post-war cover that’s named to a Marine who served in the mid to late 50’s. The reason why this info is not in the listing is most likely because the seller doesn’t think it’s important, and I doubt they researched the Marine. After all, it does not look like they specialize in militaria.

- Jakob 

.The seller took a gamble too. If the description does not match the item, then the buyer has a way out

This line here...

"Per information obtained from (Quest Masters Museum)  these markings identify helmet as WW II era."

Thats the buyers way out if it turns out not to be WW2.

The Seller took a gamble being so vague. And then implying its WW2.

So if any part of the helmet is not WW2, Bingo, the buyer has a way out.

Dom2win might not be the "Infamous Dom "

but Montvale is not too far from brookly or the bronx which ever Dom claimed to live in at the time and Dom sold antiques and the occasional helmet and this guy has about 8

militaria items sold in the last 36 months.

Might be Dom ???

to answer your questions first let me say i JUST SAW these threads now. if i saw them earlier i would have responded sooner. YES it is the lid i won and YES it went back to Dom. why????????? it had all the characteristics of a ww2/Korean war lid. an all original ww2 liner and pot to a degree until you have it in hand. the mistake i made was not having him take the liner out to see the inside which would show that the pot was a repaint and the different stitching on the fingers of the cover not being ww2. he is in real estate and he sez got it from the son of the vets estate. the son told him when i was asking questions that his dad was in the kw which he was not. he was state side and his dad did pick up helmets and militaria. who was the marine that owned it--- i don't know but, it was not the sons father. it was a real marine lid but, not in my area of collecting. 

21 minutes ago, Costa said:

to answer your questions first let me say i JUST SAW these threads now. if i saw them earlier i would have responded sooner. YES it is the lid i won and YES it went back to Dom. why????????? it had all the characteristics of a ww2/Korean war lid. an all original ww2 liner and pot to a degree until you have it in hand. the mistake i made was not having him take the liner out to see the inside which would show that the pot was a repaint and the different stitching on the fingers of the cover not being ww2. he is in real estate and he sez got it from the son of the vets estate. the son told him when i was asking questions that his dad was in the kw which he was not. he was state side and his dad did pick up helmets and militaria. who was the marine that owned it--- i don't know but, it was not the sons father. it was a real marine lid but, not in my area of collecting. 

i will add nothing is mentioned about what i told him that the cover was not ww2 or the pot is a repaint. any takers????