this has to be a record!

Costa

Has to be USMC but that is insane. One just sold a week ago in similar condition for under $500 IIRC and I thought that was high.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The knife is a USMC and I was one of the bidders, but it went way beyond my bid and I, too, was somewhat dumbfounded by its' final price..  But in defense of the buyer, it is an almost mint PAL USMC with its' original PAL scabbard and I know that many of you already have one or have had one on the cheap but for those of us that do not have one nor have ever had one, how often does on these come along?

CG

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 3:07 PM, cgutierrez said:

The knife is a USMC and I was one of the bidders, but it went way beyond my bid and I, too, was somewhat dumbfounded by its' final price..  But in defense of the buyer, it is an almost mint PAL USMC with its' original PAL scabbard and I know that many of you already have one or have had one on the cheap but for those of us that do not have one nor have ever had one, how often does on these come along?

CG

Yes, what used to be cheap is no longer necessarily so and in some instances, as w/ this very fine specimen of the PAL, quite pricey. I lived through this phenomenon in the vintage guitars trading/collecting area, as have many (including, gain, me) who were inot vintage American "muscle cars". Sometimes we wonder where all the money comes from, but it's out there and, once focused on an area of collecting, keeping pace with the "new price floors" in certain markets becomes untenable, perhaps especially for older collectors, guts like me who bought circa '69 Gerbers and Randalls for $25 on the army base, a 1958 Fender Telecaster for $50 @ a second-hand store, or a 1969 Mustang Boss 302 (Yellow) for $900. All of that happened as recently as circa 1976. Ain' gonna happen again. Well, not unless there is a HUGE CRASH aka Depression in the world's economy, but then... ?

That's at least a few hundred past what I would expect. But, that knife does look nearly mint if not dead mint, and you usually only see one or two Pal scabbards a year in any condition. Pair the two mint items together and a few guys bickering over it at auction and there you go.