MRE Changeover Date

mrrm

Any idea what year the MRE packaging was changed from the early dark brown packaging to the more tan or light brown color?  I'm thinking mid to late 90's?  Sad part is I was in either an Army Reserve or ARNG unit at the time and do not remember when the change over occurred.   

Dont feel bad. Embrace it. We're getting up there....

lol I was in too... 81-98.... and I dont know... I dont remember.

One thing I do remember is that I never really liked the MRE.

The canned rations we got up until about 1983 or 84 were good.

MRE

Meal Rejected by Everyone.

For what's it worth, Wikipedia says the change happened in 1995. I do remember seeing the fancy tan bags intermixed with the brown bags and wondering why they were special. Never experienced the C Rations myself ... except for the can of mixed fruit that exploded in my kitchen. Took a couple of weeks to get rid of the smell.

milsurp_scout_14

Here's one of the most interesting MRE articles I've ever read! As quoted from the article, "Since then, the original simple brown MRE bag has undergone two major and several minor updates. The first major update occurred in 1996 and changed the color of the bag from dark brown to a tan color and introduced new bag graphics.". 

Entire article here https://www.507arw.afrc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/169252/things-you-didnt-know-about-meals-ready-to-eat/#:~:text=MREs (Meals%2C Ready-to,and introduced new bag graphics.

TheCrustyBosun

The MRE’s that we had in 2004 during OIF were pretty good in my opinion. I had a hankering for some about a year ago and asked a buddy for a favor. I ended up with a whole case!  I ate everything but the desert cakes.🤮 I’ll take everyone’s vegetable crackers and jalapeño cheese spread!!! 😃