Has anyone ever seen a helmet like this one ?

The Rooster

43 minutes ago, pararaftanr2 said:

And what military organization, or individual, would wear such a contraption? Would an American ally be able to get a steel helmet, but no liner and have to make his own suspension? Would an enemy of the US want to be seen in battle wearing an American helmet? 

A Montagnard tribesman (Ally of the USA in the Vietnam War) might just Have worn such a helmet. Its just a guess. But a possibly good guess....And im sure from what I have read that M1 steel pots

were plentiful in Vietnam. Which is logical considering all the years we were there and all the helmets supplied to the South Vietnamese.

(Reference the pics of the Montagnard kids above).....Even as Battlefield pick ups etc etc. Its all conjecture on my part as I have no solid proof. But I think its safe to rule out basket of any kind.

You would only need a handle for a basket. and a third loop to keep the contents from spilling out. Its clearly a suspension in place of a liner.

Purposely made for wearing most likely because it was needed. The seller stated it was a bring back item that belonged to a Vietnam Veteran.

Mind you, your guess is as good as mine because I have no solid proof. Just a semi educated guess.

But definitely not for carrying eggs etc....... Its for wearing. And the Montagnard tribesmen were physically small people.

It wont fit on my big melon.

Could be from the Phillipines ? Thailand Cambodia, Laos ???

Could be............. But its definately made for wearing.

No doubt in my mind about that. The whole suspension is extremely robust.

Not just the chinstrap.

The Rattan is not the least bit frail. Its not about to break any where I can find.

Its very strong.

Its tight and it sits way too high up on my head but I was able to get the chin strap over the chin and it works well.

Def need a cap or cloth under it though. It doesnt flop around. It sits secure.

DSCF3266.JPG

DSCF3267.JPG

Could be militia used or even VC for that matter. The Montagnard soldiers Im finding were pretty well equipped and uniformed.

Maybe VC ?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I agree it has a clear suspension rather than being a basket. As for who used it, that is up to the imagination without any information.

But probably not VC. The NVA/VC tended not to wear steel helmets in RVN because it caused identification issues and "friendly fire". and that's with Eastern European helmets, I imagine that issue would be further exasperated by wearing an M1. Some still did of course, but those tended to have a net for attaching folliage. Again not always but those bring the likelyhood down a lot. I can only think of one instance of a captured M1 being used, a liner with a star on front in a museum that was allegedly captured from the Viet Minh. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

I agree it has a clear suspension rather than being a basket. As for who used it, that is up to the imagination without any information.

But probably not VC. The NVA/VC tended not to wear steel helmets in RVN because it caused identification issues and "friendly fire". and that's with Eastern European helmets, I imagine that issue would be further exasperated by wearing an M1. Some still did of course, but those tended to have a net for attaching folliage. Again not always but those bring the likelyhood down a lot. I can only think of one instance of a captured M1 being used, a liner with a star on front in a museum that was allegedly captured from the Viet Minh. 

That makes total sense. Its a Vietnam Vets bring back, Im going to go with a Montagnard made liner. Meaning thats my best guess.

I dont think its a basket either.

2 hours ago, jeeplover said:

very cool. how does the liner feel i would imagine it would hurt. 

Abosultely you would need a cloth or cap on under it.