What did I miss here?

Normandy1944

Just because I want to know why this helmet sold for so much, is there anyone who can tell me why?

I'm not a helmet guy, but want to educate myself more so I can add a few to my collection.

1.jpg

You didn’t - 10k plus 23% for an unnamed camo lid. 

The painted dents didn’t add up to me either, plus the liner didn’t look used 

- Dean 

This helmet came from a museum that either closed or was selling off a ton of stuff on including a life size diorama of the interior of a barracks.

1 hour ago, ArchangelDM said:

You didn’t - 10k plus 23% for an unnamed camo lid. 

The painted dents didn’t add up to me either, plus the liner didn’t look used 

- Dean 

So the buyer is fooled?

And he probably paid that much because it's a camo'd helmet? 

7 minutes ago, Normandy1944 said:

So the buyer is fooled?

And he probably paid that much because it's a camo'd helmet? 

I find it odd that the dents are painted but the pics are not the best. With regards to the price, unless it’s named and had absolute solid provenance with it 10 k plus fees is an astronomical amount for an unnamed lid without provenance. 

- Dean 

Playing devils advocate, is it not possible that the helmet was dented before the camo was painted by the soldier? They could have started out using the helmet unpainted, damaged the helmet a bit, and then applied a field camo.

I would agree that having the paint more worn on the edges of the dented area would be a better sign but I don't think the dents on their own are a huge red flag.

It sold for that much because.....

Its really Audie Murphy's used once battlefield pickup Helmet

he grabbed on the fly and then discarded and someone has

way too much money to squander.

Thats Crazy crazy crazy.

Without Provenance ? No Name ? No Bona fide history ?

Crazy !!!

Heres a helmet I got. No Cammo Paint. But its the real deal.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If it’s an original what’s it worth?

That is a great camo scheme and that by itself is the reason for the price.

10 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

The million dollar question, 

its a buyers market and it sells for what someone is willing to pay. Could it have been painted after it got banged up, yes of course. 

The question as a collector would be, would you be happy paying 10000 plus fees for an unnamed helmet with an attractive camo scheme and questionable dents with paint. On top of that a liner that looks very lightly used. 

For me the helmet just does not justify that 10000 it sold for. 

5k I would have had a go 

- Dean

18 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

I must confess to being a low roller. Thats way out of my league. Its a cool helmet.But $9500 for a paint job ?

Man lol 😀 That boggles my mind.... because even if I had the money, I would want more than this description before spending that kind of money..

Description

Metal helmet with liner. Some wear and dents. Fantastic original paint.Ê

Buyer's Premium

23%

Thats all they say about it and no name / nothing....

Too each their own....

What do they mean by Buyers Premium 23% ??

13 minutes ago, ArchangelDM said:

The question as a collector would be, would you be happy paying 10000 plus fees for an unnamed helmet with an attractive camo scheme and questionable dents with paint. On top of that a liner that looks very lightly used. 

For me the helmet just does not justify that 10000 it sold for. 

I think that's spot on. Too much money for something without solid provenance. I think the shell has a good shot of bring legit but with no name and it possibly being put together $10k is just too much 

13 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

What do they mean by Buyers Premium 23% ??

The buyer pays an additional 23% auction fee.

Schnicklfritz

With the helmet dented as much as it is from what I see in the photos, I can't imagine that it would have been deemed serviceable. The ballistic integrity of the metal would have been compromised. The amount of force necessary to dent a helmet to leave behind a dent like that, but yet no impact showing in the paint... ???

No way.... Big thumbs down.

As far as a museum de-acquisition , I know quite a few museums that use repops as fillers for hard to find originals.

It closed in Rockford, IL - not too far from where I live.  I never got a chance to visit, but the camp has an interesting history.  They appear to have liquidated their entire collection-- some very common items with no apparent period connection to the camp went for far more than I would have ever expected.  The helmet's final price on their auction site is $11,542.50.  Still picking my jaw up off the floor.

I followed this auction and bid on a few items. Everything sold for wayyyy more than i thought it's really worth. I'm guessing it's the museum connection. People like having the "museum quality" describing term for items in their collection. 

Burning Hazard

This one would require an in-hand inspection. Because it came from a museum, would it be possible that they professionally cleaned the outside and possibly filled in the dents too? I've read that some museums have top notch restorers.

Thee price is waaaaay to high, the ID'd M1 helmet belonging to General Clarence R. Huebner was sold in this neighbourhood.

Just some thoughts

Pat