Scanning old documents

tthen

Does anybody know if the bright light of a document scan will harm old documents. I have an old 8 1/2 x 11  two sided type written piece of paper entitled "Additional Pelelui Notes" It describes pre invasion bombardment on D-3, the 81st Inf. Div. landing location near Mamati Bay on D-day and enemy strength and capabilities. I would like to share with the forum but do not want to compromise this somewhat delicate piece of paper. 

Thank you

Tom

tdogchristy90

This is just my gut experience. I’ve scanned many documents and it all seemed to go okay and come out nice.

I will say, I would think a single scan or a few scans to get it right should be safe enough as long as you’re gentle.

Basically what I’m saying is a little light from the scan I would not think would hurt it. It’s long exposure you’d have to worry about. Kind of like an x-ray, a single shot won’t hurt but prolonged exposure you may grow an extra arm.

p.s. Once scanned it’s also saves for posterity, digitally, assuming something happens to the original. So that’s a plus.