Your early M1 Carbines

spagg

Let see who has the earliest M1 Carbines. I'll start the thread off with my 1942 Inland and see what happens. Yes, the peep site is off, the original owner that I bought it from back in the day switched it out with this later adjustable site. I do have the original peep site that he gave me put away somewhere. 48180

Spag

IMG_2151.jpg

44 minutes ago, thorin6 said:

Why not have the yin and the yang; the earliest and the latest (original as issued)?

I really would like to see early M1 Carbines. I see a lot of late War but early war seems to be rarer. IMO. If I get no participation in this thread then I will make a change. Maybe a good idea, lets see what happen for now. I know there are M1 Carbine collectors on this forum!

Dirt Detective

My early Carbine is a Inland with a barrel date of 7-42.  What is your barrel date ( guessing october?)  Do you have a side shot? would love to see more.  Anyway here is my july 42   

42inlanda.jpg

42inlandc.jpg

42inlandd.jpg

42inlandb.jpg

Collector, Dirt Detective nice looking M1 Carbines. 11304 beats me by a mile!! Excellent! I know there are more out there! Lets see them!

Dirt Detective
34 minutes ago, spagg said:

My Barrel date 8-42

How does the rest look?  Is the stock correct?  If I was you I would hunt that original rear sight down and put it back on..real easy to do. 

Hello thorin6,

Haven't heard from you since you  posted about your S.M.Co. 43 sling on Milsurps. That post is still there in a 'Sticky Thread'.

I was recently sent a photo file of a friends WRA 1,000,213. Original with Blued Serif S flip sight base.

ACtC-3cLJqVOc-4MH5IyhVhXbNob2owQhz3D5cio

My earliest would be a original WRA 1,030,621 with Blued Serif S rear sight base.

DSC08587-1.jpg

DSC08612-1.jpg

DSC08613-1.jpg

DSC08591-1.jpg

DSC08609-1.jpg

DSC08594-1.jpg

Charlie-P777

Here’s a couple of old shots of my Inland, barrel dated 4-43. I will try to take a fresh one of the whole rifle as an overview soon, but this is has been my keeper carbine for many years.

31316C3E-BCA0-4AF1-A32A-82B335DC8183.jpeg

3F6A79E8-6BCE-4280-A753-C29C8117AD91.jpeg

0E97328F-4F50-4A24-9B89-1F9BE4E2CF2D.jpeg

BAB2BD42-1D25-4D94-8CCB-4B835F430EC9.jpeg

FDFF6691-3B33-4A09-B973-0C91ACA609D2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, everforward said:

shots of my Inland,

Looks nice, really sharp stampings.

Same friend of mine with WRA 1000213 recently shared a new album with Inland 1142. Flip sight is S~

Slingwell with very light OVERTON, light Crossed Cannon, Ordnance Bomb and L A.

ACtC-3e2i-Pds_Sj8CnAs4tQCEWzq7RJw0kXUZnD

Charlie-P777

Just taken- fresh higher-res pics. Pretty sure mine is in the range of many observed M1-A1 Paratrooper versions, but obviously it’s not one of those, lol......My example was made after they stopped stamping the ‘glyphs’ on top of the stock, just forward of the receiver and hidden by the handguard.

CCD7D9FE-204E-4C6A-9F23-78EB528D6C46.jpeg

33E8A028-92B1-4074-B91F-B431109FC9C2.jpeg

4839A9F1-294E-4228-B4C8-A0F6972DD2F8.jpeg

21 minutes ago, everforward said:

they stopped stamping the ‘glyphs’ on top of the stock, just forward of the receiver and hidden by the handguard.

Do you mean NO 'Glyphs' on the barrel flat ?

If no Glyphs, Is there a BI stamped on the flat behind the gas cylinder? As in a Brown Lipe Chapin barrel for Inland.

My earliest is an Underwood, but I'll have to wait until I get home to post a picture.  I think it's a 4-43 dated barrel with all the early features.

EmperorWangDong
59 minutes ago, painter777 said:

Looks nice, really sharp stampings.

Same friend of mine with WRA 1000213 recently shared a new album with Inland 1142. Flip sight is S~

Slingwell with very light OVERTON, light Crossed Cannon, Ordnance Bomb and L A.

ACtC-3e2i-Pds_Sj8CnAs4tQCEWzq7RJw0kXUZnD

Charlie-P777

Thats one of the earliest ones I've seen!

6 minutes ago, painter777 said:

Do you mean NO 'Glyphs' on the barrel flat ?

If no Glyphs, Is there a BI stamped on the flat behind the gas cylinder? As in a Brown Lipe Chapin barrel for Inland.

The glyphs on the stocks (not the barrel) that have them would be located on the left side of the stock, just forward of the receiver, where the edge of the stock and edge of the handguard meet....pretty sure the only way to see the stamping s is to remove the handguard to see the top edges of the stock.....They are stamped symbols that are similar to what Remington put on the bottom of 03-A3 stocks.

Only markings I'm familiar with on the stocks left side would be the slingwell markings.

And Rebuild markings, after rebuild.

Right side would have the Crossed Cannons acceptance stamp, which varied depending on maker.

Some with circled P proof on the bottom of the pistol grip.

ETA: Unless you mean the Stamps found on the Left side of the M1 garand.... ?

See link about 1/2 way down for Stock Markings:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html

4 minutes ago, painter777 said:

Only markings I'm familiar with on the stocks left side would be the slingwell markings.

And Rebuild markings, after rebuild.

Right side would have the Crossed Cannons acceptance stamp, which varied depending on maker.

Some with circled P proof on the bottom of the pistol grip.

ETA: Unless you mean the Stamps found on the Left side of the M1 garand.... ?

These markings would be found on an original Inland earlier than mine, and I wanna say there was a thread on here some time ago that spoke of them, and with pics too......maybe someone reading will recall it as well......

IIRC,

There was a Duck Foot type stamp that was found on some early Inlands, but also seen on NM Garands and even some 1911's.

The GCA article thought is was a stamp used after a 2nd High Pressure Test Firing.

But IDK if that is correct.

A fact is these do show up on some US Arms, Randomly.

Pictured here on a Inland 20849x;

Inland007jpgt1278716536-1.jpg

And here on a late NM Garand;

032-1.jpg

IMG_8955-1.jpg

Dirt Detective
1 hour ago, everforward said:

These markings would be found on an original Inland earlier than mine, and I wanna say there was a thread on here some time ago that spoke of them, and with pics too......maybe someone reading will recall it as well......

My Inland 1-43 has a weird mark on the wood left of the bolt face.  I will try and find a pic.

17 minutes ago, painter777 said:

IIRC,

There was a Duck Foot type stamp that was found on some early Inlands, but also seen on NM Garands and even some 1911's.

The GCA article thought is was a stamp used after a 2nd High Pressure Test Firing.

032-1.jpg

IMG_8955-1.jpg

This is what I refer to, yes. It’s my understanding that the markings were no longer applied by the time my own Carbine was made.....

17 minutes ago, Dirt Detective said:

My Inland 1-43

DD,

I have a old post on Milsurps where I linked your post, where you called it a Eagles head.

See my reply #18 in the link below. Problem is the link back to your post here is dead.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=20694&page=2

Charlie-Painter777

ETA: @ everforward They were very scarce, very few ever reported in the Carbine Club Newsletters or Data sheets.

I can't add any more info, but glad we got to the bottom of it.... some what :- D

1 hour ago, painter777 said:

IIRC,

032-1.jpg

IMG_8955-1.jpg

Never  seen that stamping before? I was hoping the thread would take off, it will be interesting to see who has what. Nice bunch of great looking M1 Carbines posted. I will post more pics of my Inland later on this evening.