World War One Weekly Wing #45- Etruscan Revival pattern

cwnorma

World War One

Weekly Wing #45

Etruscan Revival Style

WWOWW45.jpg.77a3a25ec5dd92e4a9127825b401f931.jpg

Description 

Reserve Military Aviator

An unusual, likely American-made World War One wing, executed in the Etruscan Revival or simulated embroidery style.  

Design wise, this badge makes no attempt to represent an actual eagle's wings; instead, the badge is designed (for the most part) to mimic bullion embroidery.  Each wing consists of a first row of eleven "feathers" in simulated bullion, with two rows of "feathers" consisting of J-shaped vanes.  There is no rachis apparent and the interior portion within each J-shaped feather is textured. The shield is approximately acorn shaped, with only a minute amount of flare at each ear.  In the chief of the shield are fourteen, six-point, raised stars set upon a textured background.  The field consists of vertical stripes of simulated bullion.  Between the chief and field is a single horizontal row of simulated bullion.  The gothic US is a single piece die struck in 10 karat gold with a lone period between the U and S silver soldered to the field.

Artistically, The Etruscan Revival (1860-1900) was essentially over by the time of WW1.  Still, the military is sometimes slow to change and vestiges of the style persist to the present day.  Army and Air Force Major and Lt Col oak leaves, and USMC Gunner flaming bombs are just a couple of examples of current insignia still fashioned in this style.  

Simulated embroidery in metal had the benefit of being much more durable than bullion and could stand up better to active field use.  Before the turn of the 20th Century, simulated bullion insignia was still fairly common, although by WW1 the style was beginning to fall out of favor.  All American WW1 era Officer rank insignia was available in the Etruscan Revival or simulated bullion style. 

The badge is crisply die struck in one piece in relatively heavy sterling stock using the semi-cliche method.  

Markings

Content marked "STERLING" with no makers hallmark evident.

Mountings

Heavy drop in catch with 70 degree long pin.  The pin has broken.

Background

This well made badge was apparently some maker's attempt to manufacture a Reserve Military Aviator badge in sterling silver and gold that would simulate bullion embroidery.  I say "manufacture" because the badge is die struck--implying the unknown maker intended to strike them in some volume.  

Perhaps this was an attempt to make a more durable regulation badge; although at 3 1/2 inches, it is significantly oversize.  Or, possibly it was an attempt to make a badge that would both pass inspection and be the popular sterling silver type.  Whatever the rationale for making it, this design must not have been particularly well liked--I have not encountered another.

Of course it should be said that it remains possible this badge is not from the WW1 era.  Until additional evidence surfaces, and having never encountered another--we must consider that possibility.  However the badge's construction (die struck), assembly (silver solder), materials (sterling, 10k gold), and findings (large barrel drop in, 70 degree pin), all lead me to believe it to be a period example.  

I would love to hear your thoughts on this interesting badge.  Even better, if there is another example out there in the collections--I'd love to see it!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting wing!

Where in the world do you run across such things?

Do you think this is a "one off" custom made badge?

Looking at photos on another thread and noticed this photo. Notice how it has some of the vertical "striping" like the wings you posted. Looks like a similar attempt to create the look of a bullion wing. 

photo with unusual wings.jpg

5 hours ago, blind pew said:

Do you think this is a "one off" custom made badge?

blind pew,

Examining this particular badge two things operative to your question leap to the fore in my mind:  First, the badge is die struck.  Meaning some manufacturer went to the trouble (and expense) of making the die in anticipation of mass-production.  That we don't see more of these bespeaks to me that this must not have been a very popular design.  

Although so-called Etruscan Revival insignia was still around in 1918, (it is actually still around to a limited extent today) it really was more prevalent in an earlier era.  By WW1, the style may have appeared both "conservative" and somewhat dated to a younger eye.  Dan Dunham of San Antonio proudly proclaimed that he was the originator of the popular "smooth" bar for Lieutenants and Captains.  By WW2, Etruscan Revival insignia had all but disappeared.

That brings me to my second thought. Careful examination of the die work with a loupe shows that this is not the first iteration of this die.  For example, the die originally had five-point stars (which were changed to 6-point stars).  There is also some ghosting evidence that the texturing of the shoulder feathers was originally more "linear" (like the first row feathers) and less "pebbled."

Taken all into consideration, my sense is this badge was an attempt by a manufacturer to create a distinctive badge that ultimately turned out to not be very popular. Evidently not happy with the first instantiation of the die, they attempted to "improve" it.  Again, the design still did not seem to have "caught fire" with the largely youthful aviators.

While I have not yet encountered another like it.  I would not be surprised to; nor would I be surprised to someday encounter a version with sightly different die-work.

Cheers!

Chris

• 1 year later...

Prior to the Putnam Green auction, I had not encountered another example of this badge:

1210167536_ScreenShot2022-07-17at3_29_39PM.png.321c57604ceeabddd7c56d85bd28529f.png

Chris

On 8/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, cwnorma said:

Prior to the Putnam Green auction, I had not encountered another example of this badge:

1210167536_ScreenShot2022-07-17at3_29_39PM.png.321c57604ceeabddd7c56d85bd28529f.png

Chris

And sadly Chris, we will not have another one to view after the auction. 

Bummer

I know this is a stretch but when I saw this wing I remembered a small sweetheart/patriotic jewelry piece I had that has a similar pattern on the arms of the star.  Now I realized that horizontal lines aren't exactly rocket science when it comes to jewelry items but it gave me the same feel as this wing.  The pin I have has a hallmark of HJ and Sterling.  Not saying that this is the maker of the wing and I don't even know who HJ is at the moment but I'm sure some of the more experienced collectors on the forum may have that info.  Anyhow, just throwing it out there.  I do know this branch insignia didn't start being used until much later than WW1.  I also know that sometimes these companies had a stylistic trend that carried through several of their pieces.  Longshot but you never know unless you throw the hat into the ring.

image.png.296fa76bb67d0daccf022a538b8f757b.pngimage.png.d429c8ac9bdbfff8cd0f6fd77fb91f72.png

1 hour ago, bschwartz said:

...has a similar pattern on the arms of the star.  Now I realized that horizontal lines aren't exactly rocket science when it comes to jewelry items but it gave me the same feel as this wing. ...

Bob,

The star on that pin itself could be said to be executed in the "Etruscan Revival" style.  That is, die-struck metal fashioned to mimic the look of bullion embroidery.  

It is, to my mind, not less than somewhat ironic that while metal wings themselves originally replaced less popular bullion; at some point some maker decided metal made to look like bullion would be the way to go!

Chris

5thwingmarty

HJ is the hallmark for Herff Jones.  I have a couple of sweetheart wings with the hallmark.

And here is another Herff Jones insignia in this style:

Herff Jones naval insignia front.jpg

Herff Jones naval insignia rear.jpg

• 1 month later...