This Is Somewhat Deceptive

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just found this "1944 Prototype MK1" on ebay. Item # 264919676376. The seller has an original receipt of some type. The ad says it's a prototype made by "Colonial". In reality it is a late commemorative as stamped on the blade. The repros being made are identical , but the U.S.N. is stamped on the opposite side of the blade from the originals as with the Colonial stamp. Overall I find the ad a little deceptive, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the seller who deals mostly in baseball cards. If someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. I do not know the seller. New collectors study up, these are nice repros which could easily fool folks.  SKIP

The receipt sure looks original, which may be why the seller thought it was some type of prototype from WW2. But, Colonial MK1s did use that type handle in production knives.  SKIP

EmperorWangDong
35 minutes ago, SKIPH said:

The receipt sure looks original, which may be why the seller thought it was some type of prototype from WW2. But, Colonial MK1s did use that type handle in production knives.  SKIP

Yes, I believe that is that later style of Colonial handle. Ive got a few new in wrap Colonial Mark 1's and they are the 'elongated' style pommel.

Did they draw those dates from a hat?

They aren't even remotely close to being accurate.  I suspect the contract is just random as well, that particular contract was around the 1944 timeframe. It's all a bunch of baloney!!

The receipt is really neat. Though we like to deal in bulk procurement data, that is not often the case. In so many instances there was an established fixed price contract with a manufacturer, and in this case, you have a purchasing officer at the Navy Yard in Philly requisitioning 250 knives from Colonial. They would had been purchased at the already established negotiated price by the BuOrd. So you can imagine hundreds of purchasing offices buying Lots of knives making all totals with an asterisk.   

On 10/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, thorin6 said:

The receipt

image.png.0f02ffd9d5b16b793f7c47c26aa936a8.png

From what I can tell it looks to me that this document was something that the present Colonial KC provided with these reproduction MK1's they have.  It sure looks like this document in some of the stock photos the company has on their site.

• 3 weeks later...
EmperorWangDong

To add to the suspense, were these all numbered 1 of 200? 😂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-N-COLONIAL-MARK-1-COMMEMORATIVE-EDITION-UTILITY-KNIFE-with-U-S-N-SHEATH/124423542659?hash=item1cf8389783:g:mcgAAOSwsK9fjuS5