RIA Model of 1905 Bayonets Dated 1917 With Two Different Stamps Used

hyrax222

This really stumped me at first! After logging for one year,

I tallied the serial no. ranges of each type to attempt to see if there were certain patterns. I found them mixed, based on a few examples. 

Always something new!

hyrax222

Screenshot_20200511-152353.jpg

Screenshot_20200511-154529.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So the Ordnance Bomb is different, as is the 7 in 1917.  What are the serial numbers?  You weren't real clear in your original post that you were looking for examples, so your second post might have made that clear.  Good luck, I'll check my RIA bayonets in the next day or so.

Let's try this again.  This could be fun, but just what are you looking for.  Just RIA?  Just RIA 1917? Different fonts and flaming bombs on all the 1905s?

Marv

Thanks thorin6, Misfit 45 and robinb!

The fonts and shape of the flaming bomb on 1917 RIA's only, are very different. I have only about a dozen of these recorded. I am seeking more so I can try to figure out how many of each type is out there and where are the serial. number breaks. The pics of both sides of the ricasso, as robinb posted, is perfect!

When I accumulate suffifient no.s of data I will post some speculation on no.s of each type. I have searched the internet to harvest pics. With 50,000 bayos. stamped in 1917, it may be awhile...

I am naming the two types of stamps as "Classic" and "Stylized". This should be self explanitory. Any advice or comments appreciated.  RIA used about 5-6 different "bombs" during their 14 year run.

I blame my OCD and the Chicom lock down for this obsession! LOL!

Bruce-

2 hours ago, BruceCanfield said:

Pinned guard?

I am unsure what you are asking? I thought all M1905 bayos. guards were pinned (riveted). I did not check these specifficly for presence of pins. Please clarify.

hyrax222

BruceCanfield

I was just asking. I own a couple dozen genuine M1905 bayonets ranging from 1906 to 1942 vintage and have never seen one with a guard pinned in that manner. This is a pic of a 1918 RIA example.

IMG_2813.jpg

Bruce- Ok I see (looked at my pic!) what you mean LOL! That is a pic I copied from the internet. Probably a Greek return that has been "repaired". They are some sketchy items...or maybe an M1 (transitional) UFH from March 1943. They were cranking them out at an amazing rate in 2 separate factories in Rome, NY as well as Columbus, Ohio. Most of my information is from Gary Cunningham. 👍

Happy Thanksgiving all!

hyrax222

Bruce-

Nice pic of a scarce RIA with matching scabbard. Bayonets remain, scabbards fade away...Now show us your RIA M1905,  dated 1919!

hyrax222

BruceCanfield
9 minutes ago, hyrax222 said:

Bruce-

Nice pic of a scarce RIA with matching scabbard. Bayonets remain, scabbards fade away...Now show us your RIA M1905,  dated 1919!

hyrax222

That would be a real find!                          

Robinb-

Ding, ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner! This is a tough one to find in any condition. I call this last and only year flaming bomb; "The Octopus". 

Ok you sharpies out there, lets see a M1905 SA, dated 1922?

hyrax222

Robinb-

I knew one of you flea market slueths had one. Thanks Robinb! About 4k of these were made. Only 32 (my algorithem) of these exist in collectible condition (which is 90% or better original finish). This 1922 is a very low

serial number for that date. Lowest I have recorded.

hyrax222

Charlie Flick

Hyrax:

Here is one from my collection.  The scabbard is unmarked.

Hope this helps you in your study.

Regards,

Charlie

Left ricasso ed.jpg

Right ricasso ed.jpg

Left side with scabbard ed.jpg

Right side with scabbard ed.jpg

Charlie-

Yes! You folks know how to take great pictures. Much appreciated! I am starting to see groups of these forming now...

This serial number falls very near the middle of the range (aprox.275,000) for the 1917 dated RIA M1905. It is also very near the start of the largest group of "Classic" style flaming bombs (my nominclature).

This bayonet and scabbard set matches perfectly and obviously have been well cared for. Museum grade. 

Thanks for your generosity, all!

hyrax222