15th Bombadier Sqdn Group

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

I found this today in a junky antique shop. I showed interest in the framed items and the dealer told me had his uniforms in a bag, and for the price he gave me I couldn't refuse. I checked the pockets when I got home and it was a VERY nice surprise.

(Needless to say I'm excited and QUITE pleased with my purchase).

The veteran is Garabed Kassabian, 06914174. He enlisted on Aug 25, 1939 and as of 1942 he was a S/Sgt with the 15th Bombadier Squadron. He stayed in until at least 1951 because of the orders pictured (I will get a better scan later). Accident report listings show he was in some sort of Aircraft accident in 1944.

Here's the Wiki on the 15th Bombadier Sqdn:

From Australia, the airmen of the inactivated 27th Bomb Group were transferred first to Fort Dix New Jersey, then to the United Kingdom, arriving first at RAF Grafton Underwood on 12 May, then to RAF Molesworth on 9 June. Under Eighth Air Force the airmen were organized as the 15th Bombardment Squadron (Light) and equipped with the British Boston III light bomber, receiving their aircraft from No. 226 Squadron RAF.

After a few weeks of familiarization training with the new aircraft, on July 4, 1942, six American crews from the 15th Bomb Squadron joined with six RAF crews from RAF Swanton Morley for a low-level attack on Luftwaffe airfields in the Netherlands, becoming the first USAAF unit to bomb targets in Europe. The 4th of July raid had been specifically ordered by General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold and approved by President Roosevelt. Arnold believed that the 4th of July would be an ideal day for the USAAF to open its strategic bombing campaign against the Nazis, but General Carl Spaatz did not have any of his heavy Eighth Air Force bomb groups ready for operatonal missions. Two of the 15th's planes did not return from the mission, along with one RAF aircraft. The squadron commander, Capt. Charles Kegelman, plane was shot up badly and almost did not return.

Spaatz considered the mission a "stunt" triggered by pressure in the American press who believed the people of both the United States and Great Britain needed a psychologial boost. However, Kegleman was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and its British equivalent for his valor on that Fourth of July mission--the first Eighth Air Force airman to receive the nation's second highest combat decoration.

The 15th flew most of its missions from Molesworth in its British Bostons, and did not receive USAAF Douglas A-20 Havoc aircraft until 5 September. The squadron was transferred to RAF Podington on 15 September where it flew a few missions before being transferred to Twelfth Air Force for support of Allied landings in North Africa on 15 October.

In North Africa, its crews were assigned to the 47th Bombardment Group (Light), at Mediouna, French Morocco and the 15th was inactivated. Nevertheless, the 15th Bombardment Squadron had earned a unique but sometimes forgotten place in Air Force history.

And here come the pictures! Give me a few minutes...

Rob

Captainofthe7th

DSCF1450.jpg

I will restore all the included insignia when I get a chance.

DSCF1453.jpg

A crappy shot of the overcoat, shirt, pants, belt, and tie.

DSCF1449.jpgG]

A completely unused M1950 field jacket. It still has that sheen!

Rob

Captainofthe7th

DSCF1445.jpg

Promotion to S/Sgt, 1942

DSCF1446.jpg

The big man himself.

DSCF1447.jpg

DSCF1448.jpg

Not sure when that one was taken.

DSCF1454.jpg

Orders with all members of the squadron.

DSCF1455.jpg

They are from 1951...not sure if you can read them or not.

Rob

Very nice! I bet that was a nice surprise to find the extra items in the pockets.

Turned out to be a nice little grouping with pictures and all thumbsup.gif

Tino

FightenIrish35

Awessome find for sure!!!! thumbsup.gif

Should be interested to see what that accident was that he was involved with. Have you requested the report yet?

A very nice set to an under appreciated era of our military history, and not as easy to find as some might think (the early USAF Ikes).

That accident report should cost you about $25.00 is all, I have gotten several and they have always been worth every penny they have cost me.

If you get it, post the info so we know some more of this man's history.

Good luck!

MW

In post #7, the photo of the Ike jacket has the wrong color shirt & tie. The shirt would be light blue and the tie should be dark blue. The shirt & tie you have under this Ike would be appropriate for the OD Army type uniforms, but when the new blues came out, the shirt & tie colors changed along with the rest of the uniform.

That is a nice grouping and the USAF blue Ike with the short lived overseas bars and hashmarks is really nice! I LIKE IT!!! thumbsup.gif