My 2 ARVN Ranger Helmets

m1a2u2

These are my 2 arvn ranger helmets that I was lucky enough to pick up over the past 10 years or so. How do they look? Any idea what unit?

20201028_213602.jpg

20201028_213140.jpg

1603934561493.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The first one is a very classic design, lots of battalions with helmets quite similar but none exactly the same in my photo collection. The second is very vaguely similar to the iconic 44th Bn but yours is tan instead of yellow. I a haven't seen any like that, but of course I haven't seen every ARVN helmet... yet😉

26 minutes ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

The first one is a very classic design, lots of battalions with helmets quite similar but none exactly the same in my photo collection. The second is very vaguely similar to the iconic 44th Bn but yours is tan instead of yellow. I a haven't seen any like that, but of course I haven't seen every ARVN helmet... yet😉

Hi Cap, the first helmet is at least the 3rd, if not 4th, nearly-identical ARVN Ranger helmet I’ve seen.  There is one on WAF, in the Indochina section, and there is the one that sold on eB^y last year, that I posted a link on.  IIRC, Owen has one that is pretty close as well.   I’ve compared the camo patterns beyond the Tiger / star, and they are absolutely different helmets - versus the same helmet showing up multiple places.

Here is the topic on the eB^y one from last fall:  Deja Vu, as it seems like a few of us keep congregating around these.  :)

Here is the WAF example, reported to have been authenticated by our very own “Bugme” (see post #45):

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/ken-jasper-international-militaria-forums/indo-china-wars-1945-1975/358365-arvn-helmet-camouflage-schemes-covers-in-photographs/page3

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have seen the examples in collections, but what I mean is I have not seen this exact style in wartime photos.

This is the closet one I have seen looking at the details  like the size and placement of the star points, inverted whiskers center tooth, "invisible ERDL" style camo, but still there are differences, of course the glare and B&W doesn't help. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pin this one to a bn yet.

6537.jpg.dd5e504306d5fee1801b69e6a23c5afe.jpgA South Vietnamese stretcher-bearer wears a face mask to protect himself from the smell as he passes the bodies of US and South Vietnamese soldiers killed fighting the Vietcong in the Michelin rubber plantation, 27 November 1965. More than 100 bodies were recovered after the Vietcong overran South Vietnam’s 7th Regiment, 5th Division, killing most of the regiment and several US advisers. The plantation, situated midway between Saigon and the Cambodian border, was the scene of frequent fighting throughout the war
Photograph: Horst Faas/AP

I personally think that is the same helmet design in your B&W picture.  

If we were looking at it straight on, it looks like a dead ringer - where the horizontal arms of the star disappear into the ears, the white-to-black whiskers, the perfect circle for the tongue, etc.  

Some of the key differences I've noticed is the number of teeth. My helmet and the one pictured both have 4 teeth in the bottom row. I believe these to match the same design. 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Look at the location of the bottom star points, could it be a variation in a hand painted item, for sure, but without more examples I am hesitant to say it is the same. I would want to see at the very least 3-6 examples of whatever unit this is before saying it is the same as this a very common design, if it was a distinctive design like 33rd, 38th, 42nd, 44th, 52nd, then I would be less anal about it tiny details.

The first one is 100% yes all day long.
The second ranger is not bad either but I need to over my painted helmet photo files to fully investigate it.
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, kammo-man said:

The first one is 100% yes all day long.
The second ranger is not bad either but I need to over my painted helmet photo files to fully investigate it.
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks. Eagerly awaiting your review, Owen! 

• 2 weeks later...