WW2 Gunner's Wing - info - help

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Was on vacation and picked up this set of gunner's wings from a local junker. So, now that I'm home now and taking a closer look. 

There are small circles on each side of of the straight pin attachments.  Has the pin been replaced?

There is a partial makers mark at the 5 o'clock position of the circle on the back of the wing. 

I think it's too nice for a recast. 

Ok, give it too me straight .. 

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3568.JPG

My guess is they took the original fittings off when they converted the wing to a gunner, and then used different ones to replace them after the conversion.

The base wing looks like a Josten pattern observer, except it looks to have been a slick-back wing which Josten-hallmarked wings were not.  The winged-bullet and target are the same as those on the two-piece wings made from the cadet insignia base wings.  I don't have any slick-back Josten pattern observer wings, and the closest I could find on Bob's ww2wings.com site is John Vargas' Technical Observer wing.  I would guess this wing also started out as such a T/O wing.  If you examine the inner shoulder edges does it look like a squared off edge where the T was removed?

Marty

Here is an example of the gunner wing with the same attached winged-bullet and target (note to self, don't wear a red shirt while taking silver wing photos, they look a little evil):

2-piece gunner front.JPG

2-piece gunner rear.JPG