Firebase-Italeri's M110 8in. Self-Propelled Howitzer in Vietnam.

ArtyScout

Some more WIP pics of the figures. The only tweaking that's left is to add the helmets (which I've had to reorder), some rank insignias and unit patches. Enjoy everyone.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201210_001253.jpg

resized_20201210_001425.jpg

Finally! The order I placed finally arrived today. Now I can finish up my figures. But while I waited I was able to tweak the base, put ranks & names on some of the figures and put together the PRC-77 radio set and I scratch built the rounds hoist. I noticed that my kit didn't come with it and it was used by the gun crew to put a round on it, attach it to the breech loading mechanism and it would lift the round onto the gun breech loader. Once the round was rammed into the breech and the powder bag added the hoist was given back to the loading crew for the next round. Like I said; it was scratch built, but I'm very happy with it. Now its onto priming and painting everything from helmets, radio and hoist. 

Semper Fi.

Manny 

resized_20201216_164311.jpg

resized_20201216_004402.jpg

resized_20201216_004431.jpg

If memory serves right a 203mm rounds´ weight was about 90 kg. These hoists were esential for any work in the gun position. And I recall that after the round was rammed into the breech one of the gunners checked the remaining space with a kind of a ruler...

Your crew & ammo is looking amazing, well done so far!

Thanks for the comments. But once I built the hoist I found out I needed another figure. So here goes. I was able to start weathering the M110 tracks and vehicle its almost ready to have it all come together. Here are the pics of the figures, (they'll get their 'Nam weathering) and the new figure primed. I'll post more during the week.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201219_000547.jpg

resized_20201220_233203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing everyone a Happy and Safe New Year! I finally finished my diorama. I think I covered all the bases and basics at my 'Firebase' and I hope you enjoy the pics. I apologize for the wait. As always all comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Enjoy. For my next project I'll probably be going to the Normandy bocage.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20210103_003153.jpg

resized_20210103_002644.jpg

resized_20210103_002752.jpg

resized_20210103_002916.jpg

resized_20210104_214447.jpg

Another perfect dio, Manny! That´s a top base for an Artillery scene. Painting and the details especially of the ammo are amazing. And I really like the pose of the gunners. Well done & Happy new Year!

Another great dio.  Thank you for showing how it's done.   I love watching these things get built.  Ohhhh, Normandy bocage next!

Mikie

Hey All;

This will be my last pic regarding this diorama. I didn't like how the helmet looks on the loader, which was due to the figure originally not wearing a helmet. But the US Army in Vietnam required that when working a firing mission everyone had to wear a helmet. I was able to take off the old helmet and file down the head of the figure. At least now he looks normal. Enjoy as for my next project I'm heading towards Normandy. See you all on the "World" forum.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20210114_135343.jpg

11 hours ago, ArtyScout said:

Hey All;

This will be my last pic regarding this diorama. I didn't like how the helmet looks on the loader, which was due to the figure originally not wearing a helmet. But the US Army in Vietnam required that when working a firing mission everyone had to wear a helmet. I was able to take off the old helmet and file down the head of the figure. At least now he looks normal. 

Manny,

I can definitely tell a difference. He looks much better in this last picture. Great dio! I love to watch your work.

...Kat

18 hours ago, earlymb said:

Great dio! Any pics how you made the base?

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Earlymb I'm sorry to say that the base was one from the Verlinden collection, if I'm not mistaken. So all I had to do was just paint it as realistically as I could. But again thank you for your comment.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know that I wasn't posting anymore pics of the Firebase diorama, but I never took pics of that dio in a so-called formal setting. So I'm posting these four pics.

Enjoy!

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20210302_181233.jpg

resized_20210302_181246.jpg

resized_20210302_181330.jpg

resized_20210302_181455.jpg

Proud Kraut
15 hours ago, mikie said:

Never feel bad for showing more pictures of your amazing creations. I for one don't get tired of seeing them. 

Mikie

+ 1

Excellent pictures with a very realistic background, Manny, thanks for sharing!