VFA213 Gox cylinder

phantomfixer

Picked this Gox cylinderthe other day...VFA 213sticker could be a "tag" from the 213...

Original date stamp on the neck is 8-90 followed up with a 04 stamp..the 213th flew Tomcats in the 90s followed by Hornets ..both used Lox systems vs Gox systems (from what I found on the net..never worked them)...looks too big to be an ejection seat bottle...the data tag was scribed at the unit level...so no real help...any of you guys ID this bottle by aircraft? 

20201027_205709.jpg

“AA9 13B” is painted on the side?

If so, then that is a USN organization code. “AA9” is some Atlantic fleet aviation squadron and the “13B” is the seat shop for that particular squadron. 

Chris

Cool piece,  Id think it was a tag with a zap from the unit.  I was looking in NAVAIRs for oxygen systems and regulators and I couldn't find that style in any of the pubs I looked at.    Hink do you know if Navy guys use like a headset and mask tester in the life support shop before walking out to the plane?   Maybe it was a O2 supply for like a MQ-1A test set? or whatever the Navy version would be?   I have a MQ-1A myself and it was actually made at Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany.  Maybe the Corps uses them for KC-130 squadrons though.     Idk why it screams part of some kind of test set or other oxygen test equipment.

Thanks guys...yes AA9 is on the side...and if 13B is a seat shop...is it an ejection seat bottle? 2100PSI...

Thanks for the info guys

Capture.JPG

What is the size on it?  At first I was thinking it could be from a SKU seat kit like what the F-14 used but when I looked in the NAVAIR and they seem thinner and longer, and have a different kind of regulator setup.   The SKU seat kits had 1 under each of your thighs basically fore and aft  mounted under the seat kit lid.  This seems shorter and fatter than anything Ive seen in a seat kit before.  Navy seats don't put the bailout bottles on the main beam of ejection seats like AF seats, and the Army Mohawk seats had.  Their emergency O2 is usually mounted inside the seat survival kit assemblies.

Is the size 14.5 MP@

physically is is 13 inches long and 5 inch diameter

Steel bottle, not aluminum walk around bottle and bigger than the bail out bottle found on the ejection seats I worked around

looks good next to the Sea King seat !! not correct..but WTH right

I think it could possibly be associated with a C-130 and was “zapped” by VF-213 at some time. 

The work center “13B” also worked on environmental controls and O2 systems. Non-ejection seat squadrons would also have a 13B work center as part of the squadron.  So this could be part of a test set. 

All speculations on my part but it would be nice to narrow down what squadron or Intermediate maint. facility is “AA9”?  

Chris