Identifying a Ship ID: USS NITRO (AE-2)

Joe

Salvage Sailor

Not a LST nor an amphibious type.

Looks like a converted large merchantman to me, a freighter probably reclassified as a stores or cargo ship.  i.e. an USN Auxiliary

Kind of looks like one of those Liberty ships to me.  There were 2,710 Liberty ships produced between 1941 and 1945 and were used primarily for carrying cargo.  They did have weapons on them as well.

TheCrustyBosun

She’s neither a Liberty nor Victory ship. I’m with Salvage Sailor on this one. Probably an auxiliary. Unique superstructure though. Might be able to locate her on Navsource. 

TheCrustyBosun

From Navsource-

USS Nitro (AE-2).

Pyro Class ammunition ship. Commissioned-1921.

She served in the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.

Decommissioned- 1945.

Scrapped- 1949. 

Salvage Sailor
6 hours ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

From Navsource-

USS Nitro (AE-2).

Pyro Class ammunition ship. Commissioned-1921.

She served in the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and the Asiatic-Pacific Theater.

Decommissioned- 1945.

Scrapped- 1949. 

Good ID Bosun,

Another example of early USN Auxiliary ships not having the "A" on their hull numbers, in this case (AE-2) being painted on the bow as E-2

I found these photos paper clipped to a Navy uniform in a antique store. There was 2 uniforms named to the same sailor.  One uniform had the photos attached.  I think the name is Carl Heist Stahler. The first 5 numbers serial numbers in pants match Stahler.  But I don’t see him as having been on the Nitro. The photos may not be related to the uniform.

4197267C-97BE-4BC3-A518-704901AEA311.jpeg

867A990F-2443-4994-B2C9-1C81714DE3E6.jpeg

9DCE33D7-83E1-4C89-A27F-A6A8A05A6580.jpeg

B8828E83-56E2-47C0-A3FC-BE35CE851B62.jpeg

FEFDBE34-15DB-490D-8C0B-7E0F44A4D788.jpeg

TheCrustyBosun
3 hours ago, Joe said:

Thanks  !!!  Bosun.I really appreciate you  identifying the ship.

Thanks Again 

Joe

Any time!!

Thanks Aznation.  I had some of the ancestry information. You posted but not all of it. I really appreciate it. I will put a copy with the uniforms. I’ve been trying to decide if the Navy photos are Carl Stahler . By looking at his ancestry photos . What does everyone think? I’ll post some up close photos. When I get home from work.

Thanks

Joe