Help identifying ww2 Canteen Cover

sb57

Hi - I'm brand new to the forum so please excuse me if I am not posting this to the right topic. As a young boy in the early 1960's my cousin gave me a 1945 US canteen that he'd had since the 1950's. The canteen is a 1945 Vollrath so I know about these. However, the cover for it is something that seems somewhat unusual in that I can't seem to find another like it on any of the forums or online searches. It is a 1945 Lawrence Products cover but what seems unusual about it is the following: (1) It has 5 vertical seams in the front (2) it has loops on the side only at the tops + a single loop on the bottom and (3) It has no evidence of ever having a rear belt attachment system. As you can see in the photos, the rear was messed up either by my cousin or me growing up so it could be attached to a belt  but the manufacturer and date stamps are still visible. What exactly do I have here? Thanks. Steve.

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3494.JPG

Having a late date of 1945 it's probably an unfinished cover due to the cancellation of contracts.  Sold as surplus and later fitted with a shoulder strap for camping use.

I'm pretty sure this is not a regulation mounted canteen cover. It's appears to be a regular dismounted cover with the rear hanger removed and loops added. Basically an everyday cover that's been modified (almost certainly postwar) to act like a mounted cover.