USN/USCG Rare, Non-bullion, Rating Badges

dpcsdan

The first class would have been trimmed down for the 2nd class and 3rd class rates so while still not a lot  it wasn't only one.  In addition, I have a specialty mark dated 1942 on the back but the rate didn't come out until 1943.  so maybe crows were made ahead of time and rates applied as needed.

I didn’t suggest this patch was unique, but my research suggests there may have only been one person ever authorized to wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Bearmon said:

The first class would have been trimmed down for the 2nd class and 3rd class rates so while still not a lot  it wasn't only one.  In addition, I have a specialty mark dated 1942 on the back but the rate didn't come out until 1943.  so maybe crows were made ahead of time and rates applied as needed.

At that time, the rates were still made individually, PO1, PO2, PO3. They were not yet intended to be trimmed down. I sometimes believe that was actually one of the drivers to go to the embroidered chevron. But the PO 1 was not yet intended to be trimmed down. 

11 hours ago, Bearmon said:

Nothing abnormal in that. The "dates" on the back of many rating badges from 1936-48 (according to John Stacey), were contract dates. The manufacturer would have been producing other specialty rating badges on that contract and just added any new specialty as it came into use. There of many examples of where manufacturers jumped the gun and produced hundreds of a proposed specialty that did not come into official use (think Yeoman, Aviation or Storekeeper, Technical.)

On 11/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, dpcsdan said:

WAVES medical, plus a couple of comments on WAVES and rating badges.

During WWI (Yeomanetts) and early WWII (WAVES) wore full (male) sized USN rating badges.

I have yet to find an "applied chevrons" WAVES rating badge. All have been embroidered chevrons. Anyone else find this to be the case?

WAVES-Med.jpg

Yeomanette is an informal and incorrect reference to these women, the proper identification in this time period is Yeoman (F).

-dan

• 1 year later...

I think this is a fairly rare variety; pre-WWII on the blue wool.  This one is in mint, unused condition.  DennieDSC_0788.JPG.b6b92a96ce709c10cdf8115f34509f72.JPG

• 7 months later...

W.A.V.E.S. collection. Multiple rare/scarce rating badge combinations.

I'm thinking of selling as a collection.

See specifics here:

WAVES collection.jpg