Jump to content

USN/USCG Rare, Non-bullion, Rating Badges


dpcsdan
 Share

Recommended Posts

My WWII era USCG ratings. Note the variations with and without diamonds, as well as the different letter styles.

Port Security Patrolman (1943-1948)
6f4713d5c640a8e9a8a25e2c76cb7af7.jpg
f0cbcbbe040a1c9a6b7a44d41aed69ae.jpg
f88cfa9e535ba8e4808e04c0c5516817.jpg

Transportationman (1943-194?)
1fabc6696910978e3b31c02c77b1cc4f.jpg
e4544c9dea36dbc38b3dfefec30eb59a.jpg
 

Chemical Warfare Specialist (1943-194?)
cb91c5af5c4ce2477ec0514618a6e528.jpg
c643c526120520f53fec20a566cf2a0a.jpg

 

Dog and Horse Handler (1943-1955?)
98c485cf644f031c1007104f7113f5b7.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chief Underwater Mechanic, post-1926 era applied chevrons of black twill material on white background. (1948 era for this particular specialty mark), earlier eagle and chevrons would be navy blue material and thread for white rating badges after 1926 and before 1948.

UMC_dds.jpg

UMC_dds_back.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At first glance most would believe this rating badge is for a Chief Storekeeper.

Actually, the Storekeeper rating did not exist until 1916.

This rating badge was for Chief Yeoman from 1905-1916 (*until 1913 in red chevrons on white background).

USN Yeoman rating history is shown in the below photograph.

Also, note, truly rare chief Yeoman, 1893 on blue material.(Thanks, CTI1610, beautiful find)

 

Chief Yeoman 1894-1913 shown.jpg

Chief Yeoman 1894-1913 shown_r.jpg

Short History of the USN Yeoman Rating.jpg

Chief Yeoman 1893.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This post is the opposite of a rare/scarce non-bullion rating badge.

In my 30 years of collecting USN rating badges the most common chief petty officer rating specialty I've encountered is that of Chief Aviation Machinist's Mate. Much more common that even another two CPO rating badges I run across routinely, the chief Boatswain's Mate and chief Yeoman.

 

__MostCommon_AvMachinistsMate.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dpcsdan said:

This post is the opposite of a rare/scarce non-bullion rating badge.

In my 30 years of collecting USN rating badges the most common chief petty officer rating specialty I've encountered is that of Chief Aviation Machinist's Mate. Much more common that even another two CPO rating badges I run across routinely, the chief Boatswain's Mate and chief Yeoman.

 

__MostCommon_AvMachinistsMate.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was some prior discussion about WAVES rating badges.

I took a look and was surprised at how many WAVES rating badges I have in my collection.

A couple of the Specialist/Emergency Service Ratings were WAVES specific.

 

WAVES.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WAVES medical, plus a couple of comments on WAVES and rating badges.

During WWI (Yeomanetts) and early WWII (WAVES) wore full (male) sized USN rating badges.

I have yet to find an "applied chevrons" WAVES rating badge. All have been embroidered chevrons. Anyone else find this to be the case?

 

WAVES-Med.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Specialist U was WAVES specific (Utility (V-10) Stewardess) 1943; Utility (V-10) 1943-48. In addition, the majority I've run across of Specialist Q (Communications Security; Communications Specialist; Cryptographer) have been WAVES rating badges, but not singularly WAVES usage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Curious to know which of the Emergency ratings were wave specific? 

While some ratings (I.e. jobs) were WAVES specific, I am not aware of any specialty marks (I.e. icons on patches) that were unique to WAVES.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have yet to find an "applied chevrons" WAVES rating badge. All have been embroidered chevrons. Anyone else find this to be the case?

WAVES rates with applied chevrons exist, I have seen photos of a few, and own two. This one is dated, I believe 1943, or maybe 1945.

f6faf8fe886d55677d75e7893caad315.jpg
68f65922990bb4b4f60375258259ba4a.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, David.

I've added to my files.

What is the specialty of your second one?

Does that WAVES Radarman mark look modified to you? Radioman with added arrow?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, dpcsdan said:

Thanks, David.

I've added to my files.

What is the specialty of your second one?

Does that WAVES Radarman mark look modified to you? Radioman with added arrow?

 

At first glance, when I blew the age up, I was thinking someone took an old RM crow and hand embroidered an arrow on it. But then I noticed that the Radarman  rate only had 3 sparks, while the RM, had 4. The WAVE Radarman only has 3 sparks. Don’t see where one was removed. It looks jammed together because of the sharp angle of the chevrons  I 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sigsaye said:

At first glance, when I blew the age up, I was thinking someone took an old RM crow and hand embroidered an arrow on it. But then I noticed that the Radarman  rate only had 3 sparks, while the RM, had 4. The WAVE Radarman only has 3 sparks. Don’t see where one was removed. It looks jammed together because of the sharp angle of the chevrons  I 

 

Thank you for the feedback. That is why I offered the full size Radarman and the WAVE Radioman for reference. From my research, this rate has an interesting story, though it was purchased without fanfare.

 

From what I can tell, it is actually a SPAR rate. It is my understanding the Navy did not train any women as Radarmen, though the Coast Guard did. An original USCG record from April 1946 listed 12 SPAR Radarmen billets during WWII, with possibly only 1 filled by a Radarman 1c.

 

As we know the specialty mark for this rating changed in 1947, so it is not inconceivable that only one person in the history of the US military was authorized to wear this patch (reduced size Radarman 1c). 

 

Does anyone else have one of these patches?

 

USCG-SPARS-1.jpg

USCG-SPARS-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Minton said:

 

Thank you for the feedback. That is why I offered the full size Radarman and the WAVE Radioman for reference. From my research, this rate has an interesting story, though it was purchased without fanfare.

 

From what I can tell, it is actually a SPAR rate. It is my understanding the Navy did not train any women as Radarmen, though the Coast Guard did. An original USCG record from April 1946 listed 12 SPAR Radarmen billets during WWII, with possibly only 1 filled by a Radarman 1c.

 

As we know the specialty mark for this rating changed in 1947, so it is not inconceivable that only one person in the history of the US military was authorized to wear this patch (reduced size Radarman 1c). 

 

Does anyone else have one of these patches?

 

USCG-SPARS-1.jpg

USCG-SPARS-2.jpg

The first class would have been trimmed down for the 2nd class and 3rd class rates so while still not a lot  it wasn't only one.  In addition, I have a specialty mark dated 1942 on the back but the rate didn't come out until 1943.  so maybe crows were made ahead of time and rates applied as needed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...