Hawley Vs General Fibre

As i am in the process of going through a house move crying.gif , i have a rare moment when all my helmets are out of storage.

Sitting in front of me are six Hawley liners, 3 of each pattern. Now at first look they all seem identical, until you look at them from the side and you notice that one of them has a thicker brim at the front. The one concerned is a 2nd pattern with no markings inside at all. The difference in the brim size is quite evident. On the other 5 the brim narrows just under the front seam but on the 6th it doesn't. Sorry, but no time to post pics.

Anyone with a Hawley and a General fibre ever noticed a difference in the brim size ?

It may be nothing at all but a variation in manufacturing think.gif

Any ideas ?

Rich

Collector of Fixed bail M1 Helmets

https://m.facebook.com/M1Helmet/

"The dreams of Empire lure the hearts of Kings - and so men die" Burma, 1944

Hello,

Just looking at the Liner on the right of the picture (Post#4), I notice the thickness is also not the same in the front and the side of it (where, in "storage position" the chinstraps could be the first in contact!). Is someone here to share an opinion, that this could be only due to storage conditons (helmet "up" or "down", duration...) and the weight of the steel pot which naturally tends to push more at the visor locally ?

Regards,

Hil 84

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Looking at the Liner you pictured (on the right) I notice that the thickness is not the same on the sides than the one on the front of the (same) Liner. I would like to know the opinion of the others about that, because I think the thickness may depend only of the 'wear' of the Liner, the (more exposed) front being 'crashed' a little bit more than the sides...

Hope this help.

Regards,

Hill 84.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.