Two WWI enlisted EGAs: Metal-colored EM Barracks cover device and domed WWI Disk

RobertE

I have two emblems that I'd like some help with.  The first is a raw steel colored piece with traces of gold finish on the obverse.  Built like a regular one (strong seated post, can't bend the wings with your hand), but not made from bronze or brass.  Recent publications dismiss these as reproductions, but this one came in a very large WWI senior NCO group and everything else was legit.  Thought?

The second is likely a repro.  It has a significantly domed appearance, but appears die struck to me with almost an Army-Navy style bird on the obverse.  I'd love it if it was real, but have little hope.  I'm hoping any EGA gurus can help ID these two emblems for me - thanks in advance.

s/f Robert

20201025_180733_HDR.jpg

thumbnail_20201025_174058.jpg

20201025_174142.jpg

20201025_174805_HDR.jpg

I don't have a problem with the cover emblem...looks like the finish was removed intentionally for some reason. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the collar disk...rounded clasps were largely gone by WWI...is the pin flat-ended??

Thanks Brig.  I've seen distressed emblems but they usually reveal a bronze base metal - I have never owned a WWI cover emblem made of steel-colored metal so this is a first for me.  It's always been brown metal.  

The disk pin has a pointy end, not clipped wire. 

s/f Robert

Not a fan of the disk...clasp is more reminiscent of pre-war badges, French-made pinback disks generally have a dimple on the rear, as well as a different pattern EGA

thumbnail (62).jpg

thumbnail (61).jpg

Thanks for posting that Brig, definitely not the same as mine.  I don't hold out much hope for the disk being a wartime disk either.

Seems like a lot of work for a faker to go to with the domed shape when a flat planchet is so much more typical.  I'm leaning more towards post-WWI, pre-WWII veterans parade fodder.  Like so many of these, probably made for a WWI commemorative event in the 1920's and 30's.

s/f Robert 

Before the internet, these disks were rare as hen's teeth...hell, I remember ten years ago with the internet disks were bringing ridiculous prices up to $500 each...so not a stretch that someone slapped some pins and clasps onto unfinished repro disks by any means. Disks are largely still an area that isn't fully understood