Spanish-American War Marine Drum?

Greetings

Bought this Marine Snare Drum this at a local Auction last week.  It was suggested it was from the Spanish-American war.  The drum head is cracked but it is in pretty nice condition with what appears to be the original drum sticks.

I have exhausted my online efforts to research it so I turn to the community for advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Rob

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

Yep you have a nice original USMC Span Am vintage drum. I have one very similar in my collection. You will find them with both black rims and red rims.i have not been able to determine the reason behind the different colors. One collector suggested the black rims might have been used for mourning purposes such as funerals, etc, but I am not sure about that. There is one with a red rim on display in the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico. I will post some photos in a bit. Congrats, they are not easy to come by! Kevin

Rob, here is my drum on display in my Marine room. It is also depicted on page 116 of Timothy Klies book USMC Eagle Globe and Anchor emblem, 1868-1963. It is attributed to long time Marine Corps collector Greg Beck in the book. I acquired the drum from him about the time the book was published. I have never seen another come for sale. It is apparent that the tensioners are different between the two but I suspect that could have been the case during the period. Kevin

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

Gentlemen those are fantastic items! Here is the Globe and Laurel’s drum, said to be off the USS Oregon and used during the Boxer Campaign. It’s by Horstmann.

635DC431-11CC-431C-BAF8-5B9C85B1BF92.jpeg

409D18B8-657C-466C-9FBA-9AC3C56DEB91.jpeg

EC8003E8-21D3-4481-90B8-B31B80C67D3D.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Greetings All

I feel a bit foolish.  I have been out of town so....

Took a closer look at the Marine Drum and I found some period engraving with what appears to be a name and Cincinnati O. at the bottom.  Some of the engraving appears to be polished away.

There are Three Lines but the name and the second line are hard to figure out.  I have used raking light to try and decipher it.  Looks like Pvt W ???.  Second line is Mamuf??

'Pvt' W___ P_________ of B__

Mamuf'_

Cincinnati O.

Anyone have any ideas??  I will keep trying to get better pictures but...

Best Regards

Rob

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

Wurlitzer, Rudolph, Cincinnati. Included Rudolph and Anton Wurlitzer. Established in 1857, and included a general line of musical instruments including drums. They employed 30 workmen, and contracted for 100 drums 5-23-1896 and as Howard W Wurlitzer 500 drums in 1898. My bet your drum comes from this time period. 

You are welcome, who knew the name sake of 1950’s juke boxes was making instruments in the Civil War? Let’s hope their instruments were far better than their engraving eh? Nice drum, I have never seen one maker marked. Thanks again for sharing.