What is up with this DFC?

Frank_Smith

I'm in the process of liquidating a collection of a long-time collector friend and ran across this DFC.  

I've never seen anything like it and believe it's a fake.  However, why would someone fake a number of a DFC and then mount it in a place where the sun fades out the ribbon?  You can't even see the number from the front.  Also, the three digit number on the reverse is done extremely well.  The numbers  are uniform in depth and very level; far better than other fakes I've seen.  Other things of interest is that the wrap broach is very odd with the pin coming out of the center of the catch.  Lastly, the ribbon is sewn under the broach extremely well.  

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Thoughts?

NumberDFC_1.jpg

NumberDFC_2.jpg

NumberDFC_3.jpg

NumberDFC_4.jpg

NumberDFC_5.jpg

NumberDFC_6.jpg

NumberDFC_7.jpg

Frank, is the soldered ring atop the planchet made of a thinner diameter? I believe that the August Frank made pieces have not only a thinner soldered suspension ring atop the planchet, but also a lighter colored ribbon. If not an August Frank, does anyone else have an example of an  early DFC that has a thinner ring as opposed to the size found on ones made by the Mint?

Gentlemen:

Researching this medal has been time consuming and rewarding at the same time.  I've been on the phone last night and this morning visiting with a number of extremely knowledgeable "old timers" who collected medals back in the day when research on individuals was more difficult and American medal collecting was more focused on contracts, variations and numbering styles.

First off, the picture that Dave posted is identical to the cross I have posted.  Also, I can tell you with 100% confidence that #123 and the medal I have posted (#136) are 100% genuine.  They were part of the 1932 Meyer Contract with the War Department that manufactured medal numbers 115 to 140.  Is it the smallest and most scarce contract for Distinguished Flying Crosses.  These DFC's were presented to the War Department in the summer of 1932 and were immediately issued.  I've attached a photo from James Patrick's book titled, "Wood and Canvas Heroes", where he was able to create a partial early roster of these early DFC's.  As you can see, the medal I have was listed as he knew the collector that owned the medal.  More interesting is that he was able to find a partial award listing (medal numbers 131-135) from this contact.  These four numbers were awarded in July and August of 1932.  Perhaps the most famous aviator issued a DFC in this block is Amelia Earhart who was given medal number 131.  Number 135 (the number before the example I have) was issued to famous American aviator Wiley Post who was the first Aviator to fly solo around the world.

While this medal is currently unattributed, with new finds in the Archives every year, it doesn’t mean it always will be.  I imagine it has a story to tell.  If nothing else, it reminded me that no matter how long you have been collecting, there is always something new to learn.

Frank      

DFCListing.jpg