331st Infantry Regiment Flag

GUMP

I was unable to find a "Flags & Banners" section like on the Wehrmacht-Awards Forum (yes, I collect German militaria) so I hope that this section is appropriate for this question about my infantry colors.  My question being: is it possible to determine the vintage of this flag on the basis of these photos?  I would like to believe that it is of WW2 vintage, but I do not know how to make that determination. Can anybody help?

I have owned this item since the early 1990's.  The private (non-dealer/non-collector) source from whom I obtained it had owned it for approximately 10 years before selling it to me. That's about all the "history" I can give about it.  :(  

331st Regiment - 01.jpg

331st Regiment - 02.jpg

331st Regiment - 03.jpg

331st Regiment - 04.jpg

331st Regiment - 05.JPG

And believe it or not, a Reproduction from Ebay, but fear not, yours would be original, either WWII or pre war (Depinding on when the Minuteman Crests were used first, still have no luck in finding a date), if not defiantly late 40s till late 50s.

s-l00.jpg

s-l1k00.jpg

Here's an example of a Post 1957 Flag for the 1st Battle Group 314th Infantry 79th Infantry Division USAR Pennsyvania (After 1963 1st Battalion 314th Infantry  157th Infantry Brigade (Separate), the 1 in the tan circle on the top right is the battle group/battalion designator

mjuuy.jpg

I checked.  No tag.  No evidence that there ever was one either.  There are two small leather tabs inside the sleeve (one @ top, one @ bottom), but unfortunately no tag.  :(

So, the Minuteman emblem signifies the regiment's status as a reserve unit?  Is my understanding correct? 

patches - I am amazed to learn that there exists a reproduction of such an item!  Such an unlikely candidate to be targeted by fakers...

8 hours ago, GUMP said:

I checked.  No tag.  No evidence that there ever was one either.  There are two small leather tabs inside the sleeve (one @ top, one @ bottom), but unfortunately no tag.  :(

So, the Minuteman emblem signifies the regiment's status as a reserve unit?  Is my understanding correct? 

patches - I am amazed to learn that there exists a reproduction of such an item!  Such an unlikely candidate to be targeted by fakers...

Too bad no tag is present.

Yes the Minuteman is the CREST of all Regiments and or Battalions of the Army Reserve, it appears on the unit Flag which are properly called Colors also over the units Coat of Arms, again not sure when it was first used, tried looks over at The Institute of Heraldry (The TIOH), but it's down...down again, it was down once for like 2 years.

331st_Infantry_Regiment,_US_Army.png

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work finding the 7/11/1922 memo on the Reserve Minuteman Crest! Do you have that page in a file? or could you share that source document? I want to add that to my Army flag reference manual.

Thanks,

Thom

10 hours ago, patches said:

Ok I finally found the adoption date for the Reserves Minuteman Crest, it will be 1922, here's the Bulletin on it from July 1922.

thyure.png

hujture.jpg

13 hours ago, tdurbinmas said:

Nice work finding the 7/11/1922 memo on the Reserve Minuteman Crest! Do you have that page in a file? or could you share that source document? I want to add that to my Army flag reference manual.

Thanks,

Thom

No it is just an online find.

https://www.usar.army.mil/ArmyReserveHistory/Symbols/