Looking For Help - 80th Air Depot Group

66cuda

Personally I like the one on Facebook's US Military Collectibles "Make Offer" Page.  It would be my #1 choice.  It also comes with a shirt and like I said it has the air mechanic's patch on both the jacket and shirt, as well as coming with some ribbons and Army Air Corp collar discs.

My second choice would be the 2nd one whose link you provided for Ebay.

I don't really like the 1st Ebay one you have a link to.  That Army Air Force patch may just be discolored or something.  I'm not sure.

Cuda, Yours is becoming a common mission - to research and replicate your grandfathers uniform. An admirable one at that. 

I collect USAAF exclusively and the CBI class A jackets are not uncommon or rare. I would hesitate recommending you jump at the listed tunics as they seem overpriced to me. Since someone assigned to a depot or really any other unit would not wear any patches specific to that unit there is not a specific tunic to find - very generic. Also, though I don't do this, "assembling" the insignia and jacket to represent your grandfather's awards and service is primarily what you are left with. Of course you could search and search until you find the exact patches, rank, and ribbons as worn by another vet and purchase this but really what you are doing doesn't, by definition, require authenticity of the uniform - just the correct display as your GF would have worn it.

In the collecting hobby many will say, as I do, that it's the people that make the history great. The uniforms are just a representation. There is a communal aversion to "building" a uniform to represent something not original. That's not to discourage you as all would agree it is a worthy goal. What I might suggest is something maybe more practical and easier to display. What about assembling all the patches, collar insignia, sleeve hash marks, and ribbons along with some copies of paperwork in a well done shadow box? I know that would tell the same story and require much less searching and in the end the "assembly" of unrelated insignia is the same and with less potential controversy. I like full 3D displays and have plenty of fully kitted mannequins to show but where does one stop? Will you find the appropriate socks and dress shoes? Belt, shirt, and tie? Later, if the display must be out of sight, having grandpa's actual uniform in a bag in the closet is one thing but having one you put together is unlikely to have much of an emotional hold - it's just the replica that could be redone at any time. For my loved ones who served I have collected some photos and momentos that were theirs and plan to one day display them not on a large mannequin with random clothing and insignia but in a tasteful shadow box. To me, even with a whole room of the stuff, the smaller wall display is a more appropriate representation of those I remember the most.

Some strangers find mannequins interesting but far more, including spouses, find it a little strange and "too much". We are admittedly all strange here but that is something else to consider.

Dave

Cuda, I also notice you specifically mentioned the coveralls he would have worn so I'm not sure if we took you off topic to dress uniforms rather than his day to day workwear.

Best,

Dave

2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Cuda, Yours is becoming a common mission - to research and replicate your grandfathers uniform. An admirable one at that. 

I collect USAAF exclusively and the CBI class A jackets are not uncommon or rare. I would hesitate recommending you jump at the listed tunics as they seem overpriced to me. Since someone assigned to a depot or really any other unit would not wear any patches specific to that unit there is not a specific tunic to find - very generic. Also, though I don't do this, "assembling" the insignia and jacket to represent your grandfather's awards and service is primarily what you are left with. Of course you could search and search until you find the exact patches, rank, and ribbons as worn by another vet and purchase this but really what you are doing doesn't, by definition, require authenticity of the uniform - just the correct display as your GF would have worn it.

In the collecting hobby many will say, as I do, that it's the people that make the history great. The uniforms are just a representation. There is a communal aversion to "building" a uniform to represent something not original. That's not to discourage you as all would agree it is a worthy goal. What I might suggest is something maybe more practical and easier to display. What about assembling all the patches, collar insignia, sleeve hash marks, and ribbons along with some copies of paperwork in a well done shadow box? I know that would tell the same story and require much less searching and in the end the "assembly" of unrelated insignia is the same and with less potential controversy. I like full 3D displays and have plenty of fully kitted mannequins to show but where does one stop? Will you find the appropriate socks and dress shoes? Belt, shirt, and tie? Later, if the display must be out of sight, having grandpa's actual uniform in a bag in the closet is one thing but having one you put together is unlikely to have much of an emotional hold - it's just the replica that could be redone at any time. For my loved ones who served I have collected some photos and momentos that were theirs and plan to one day display them not on a large mannequin with random clothing and insignia but in a tasteful shadow box. To me, even with a whole room of the stuff, the smaller wall display is a more appropriate representation of those I remember the most.

Some strangers find mannequins interesting but far more, including spouses, find it a little strange and "too much". We are admittedly all strange here but that is something else to consider.

Dave

Hello Dave, Thank you for your information and feed back. I really appreciate it. My intent was not to recreate what my grandfather wore by taking someone else's uniform and putting on ribbons, patches or metals. I'd really just like to have a uniform similar to his for part of a display. If you have places you typically look for USAAF stuff and would be willing to share, I would appreciate it. 

I did hear that we may actually have my grandfathers ribbons and metals. I would like to do a shadow box similar to what you describe if they can in fact be located. 

2 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Cuda, I also notice you specifically mentioned the coveralls he would have worn so I'm not sure if we took you off topic to dress uniforms rather than his day to day workwear.

Best,

Dave

In addition to his dress uniform I would be really interested in the type of cloths he would have worn day to day at the base. I recall pictures from his book where he was in just work pants with no shirt as well as pictures where he was in pants and a button up short sleeve shirt. I know that India was hot so I wonder if they used any type of coveralls in that climate. Unfortunately I do not currently have access to this picture book and I'm not sure when I might.

I am both fascinated by learning about this history as well as having the opportunity to add it to my beginning collection of WWII items.  

I do have another question. I noticed on the Enlisted Record and Report of Separation paperwork there is a box that has "Military Qualification and Date (i.e. Infantry, aviation, marksmanship badges ect.)" This box is next to the one that has "military Occupation Specialty and No." which is were I see the Airplane & Engine Mechanic)  In the qualifications area it shows "Rifle Sharpshooter". When I first looked at this, I just assumed that this was part of his basic training. After reading more I am wondering if this would have been an actual badge that he would have received? 

It might have been something he could have worn. Maybe as a clasp under his mechanic's badge but don't quote me. For some reason those badges are often not present with enlisted uniforms. I might have an example with such a qualification. I haven't seen AAF technical badges alongside an Army weapons qualification badge. It's likely that you were not authorized to wear the Army badge unless having earned it while previously serving in that branch.

Dave

I think you are on the right track. Ebay is still the place to go for a large pool of sellers. I was kind of getting to the point that you pretty much HAVE to build a tunic to your grandfather's specs. If you just want a representative example of a similar jacket then pretty much any enlisted tunic will do with an AAF or CBI patch. As mentioned, those are about half of what those two auctions are asking. In particular, $200 for a generic one, though it has a nice AAF patch, is well over the top IMO. Getting one with all the details(rank, awards, etc.) to match your grandfather's might take a while.

Also, are you going to hang this on a hangar to display, put it on a mannequin, or just keep it in a closet? A mannequin would require a size in the mid to upper percentiles of vets. Size 36 jackets that healthy kids wore might not fit the average mannequin. Then consider the shoes, etc. needed to complete such a display.

Dave

18 hours ago, dmar836 said:

I think you are on the right track. Ebay is still the place to go for a large pool of sellers. I was kind of getting to the point that you pretty much HAVE to build a tunic to your grandfather's specs. If you just want a representative example of a similar jacket then pretty much any enlisted tunic will do with an AAF or CBI patch. As mentioned, those are about half of what those two auctions are asking. In particular, $200 for a generic one, though it has a nice AAF patch, is well over the top IMO. Getting one with all the details(rank, awards, etc.) to match your grandfather's might take a while.

Also, are you going to hang this on a hangar to display, put it on a mannequin, or just keep it in a closet? A mannequin would require a size in the mid to upper percentiles of vets. Size 36 jackets that healthy kids wore might not fit the average mannequin. Then consider the shoes, etc. needed to complete such a display.

Dave

I think to begin I'll get something representative and then just keep my eye out and see if one day I can find one that matches what my grand father would have had.

As far as a display goes, that's a good question. I was originally thinking just a torso type mannequin but honestly I'm not sure. I've seen a few different collections and everyone's looks cool in different ways. I'm still trying to figure out which room I want to put my display in. I had originally thought in my gun room with my safe but now I'm wonder about something different.