Looking For Help - 80th Air Depot Group

66cuda

I apologize if this is not the right place for this topic. Moderators, please move if it not. According to the discharge papers my grandfather was part of the 80th Depot Replacement Squadron, 80th  Air Depot Group and was a Airplane and engine mechanic. My grandfather passed before I was born and all of his Army stuff is missing. In his honor I would like to put together a uniform like he would have had with the correct insignia and unit information. I've tried to look up info but am having a hard time. I am hoping that this group can help me find Info on the uniforms and coveralls that the 80th Army Air Force group in India would have used. 

Thanks

If you don't mind sharing, what was the name of your grandfather?  Where and what was his date of birth?  Do you know what his service number and rank was or any other pertinent information?  Perhaps we can find more information for you.  Thanks...

His name was Arthur Serge, he was born 14 Feb 14 in Campbell Ohio. He was living in Detroit Michigan And started service 19 May 42.  I’ve attached a picture from his discharge papers. 

8A5316C0-A25A-45D4-BD6C-651DE6BE31D9.jpeg

The air depot at Panagarh specialized on major overhaul of the B-25, P-38, P-47, P-51, liaison aircraft, and, in June 1945, of the A-26.

Regarding what uniforms your grandfather might've worn, I believe he would've worn something like these except with your grandfather's rank.

Source:  Worthpoint

a31.jpg

a32.jpg

a33.jpg

a34.jpg

3 hours ago, aznation said:

If you have his actual Form DD-214 at discharge it should show you what awards he was entitled to.  

Hope some of this helps.

Thank you! That is all awesome information.  Some of the pictures do look familiar to some I’ve seen in his picture book from India. I don’t currently have access to it to share any of the pictures. 

I do have a copy of his enlistment and separation papers and it shows the following decorations and citations: Asiantic-pacific theater ribbon per WD GO #33/45; American Theater ribbon; World War 2 Victory medal; good conduct medal.  
so not too much.

besides eBay is there a good place to watch or follow for uniforms? I’m guessing these are a little less common than most? 

You're welcome.  I'm glad you have his list of decorations.

As far as a good place to watch or follow for uniforms, like you said there's Ebay and then there's the following:

U.S. Militaria Forum:  What you're on now.  Occasionally there might be someone that offers a CBI uniform for sale.

Facebook:  US Military Collectibles "Make Offer" Page  (Note:  You'll need to join and make sure and read all the rules.)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/368647170717731

I checked and there's an enlisted CBI uniform offered on there right now.  Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/368647170717731/permalink/692929858289459, but you'll have to join and read the rules before making an offer.  It even has an Army Air Corps mechanics patch on the sleeve.

There might be other places that I'm not aware of, so maybe someone else can advise.

17 hours ago, aznation said:

You're welcome.  I'm glad you have his list of decorations.

As far as a good place to watch or follow for uniforms, like you said there's Ebay and then there's the following:

U.S. Militaria Forum:  What you're on now.  Occasionally there might be someone that offers a CBI uniform for sale.

Facebook:  US Military Collectibles "Make Offer" Page  (Note:  You'll need to join and make sure and read all the rules.)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/368647170717731

I checked and there's an enlisted CBI uniform offered on there right now.  Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/368647170717731/permalink/692929858289459, but you'll have to join and read the rules before making an offer.  It even has an Army Air Corps mechanics patch on the sleeve.

There might be other places that I'm not aware of, so maybe someone else can advise.

Awesome, Thank you so much for sharing. I've requested to join the facebook group, and I'll keep an eye on it.