WWII Green Banana Wings

bbmilitaria

bbmilitaria

Here's one of the rarest set of WWII wings I have ever had, the Green Banana. Unfortunately, there is some damage to the enamel on the banana and the closing hook is broken, but still a neat piece. This was an unauthorized wing worn by C-47 crews flying the Hump. They flew cargo over and instead of returning empty, they would haul loads of green bananas on the return trip. These wings were worn for a short period of time before the "brass" cracked the whip and banned their wear. This is a shirt sized 2 1/16" wing and I assume was theater made. Any opinions would be welcome.

post-3239-1239483645.jpg

post-3239-1239483632.jpg

shrapneldude

:(

That's a real thing??? Man...I saw one of those last year at a flea market and thought it was some kind of heinz pickle company marketing gimick like the little plastic pickle pins you see sometimes. I could kick myself...that would've been a neat piece to have, esp. out of the 25 cent box! haha Thanks for posting this neat piece of history!

Now that is very cool. I've never seen one of those, nor have I heard about the Hump return flights hauling green bananas! It looks to be an India-made item. Is the clasp a regular "C" clasp, just a little C-shaped hook?

Pete

bbmilitaria

Here's the rest of the group the wings came with. Notice the green banana on hid ID bracelet and on his ring. Would anyone know what the CAFW stands for on hid ID bracelet or the AMA on his ring? I purchased this lot directly form the widow in the late 80's or early 90's. She also told me how right before her husband passed away that they had burned his A2 jacket that had the wing and green banana painted on the back. When I asked her why they burned the jacket, she told me the moths had eaten the cuffs and waistband, I almost cried. She had a photo of him wearing the jacket but did not want to let that go.

post-3239-1239544354.jpg

post-3239-1239544364.jpg

post-3239-1239544379.jpg

post-3239-1239544391.jpg

Burned the A-2, and there was a pic of him wearing it with the painting. What a shame. I had a vets wife call me about here husbands A-2 jacket a few years back. She said it's pretty rough, and has a ton of holes. When I got there, the cuffs were a little tattered, but the leather and lining were super clean. I was amazed, and explained to her the cuffs could be replaced very easily for under $100.
Great group by the way!
JD

What a nice group. I really like the ID bracelet and the ring -- I assume they're sterling? I would be interested to learn what those acronyms/initials stand for, too.

Pete

vintageproductions

Wow, I have the same ring. I always thought it was just a odd CBI variant and that the jeweler didn't enamel the prop right. Proves you learn something new everyday.ring1.JPG

...Would anyone know what the CAFW stands for on hid ID bracelet or the AMA on his ring? I purchased this lot directly form the widow in the late 80's or early 90's.

post-3239-1239544364.jpg

I spent some time trying to figure out that "CAFW" for you... and came up with a smidgen.

I believe those letters have something to do with an in-theater GI postal address of some description. I do know that it appears numerous times in a large auction of WWII postal covers from APOs etc. But, nowhere did it ever spell out what each letter stood for.

I cannot find it as an acronym or abbreviation of another kind, so far.

Maybe this will help, maybe not.

vintageproductions

Now that my interest has definately perked on this ring, I started doing some basic research.

On this website http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/AMA , there is a long list for AMA, but the two possibilities are Air Material Area or Aircraft Movement Area. Just guessing with those.

On the CAFW, couldn't it be Chinese Air Force Wing? As I am sure the CAF is related to the Chinese Air Force.

That's really neat. I've heard about the "green weenie" but I've never heard anything about the "green banana". I wonder if this had something to do with the origin of that weird GI slang term the"green weenie"? You do have to appreciate the GI's sense of humor too.

You really do learn a lot here.

Thanks for posting all that great stuff.

Dennis

At the end of 1943 the Africa-Middle East Wing of the Air Transport Command was split into Central African and North African wings, with Maj. (later Lt. Col.) James W. Brown and Lt. Col. (later Col.) Clarence A. Tinsman, the respective surgeons.

It appears this person flying with ATC in the Africa.

Tom

bbmilitaria

Thanks guys for all your help trying to pin down those acronyms. I always appreciate the combined knowledge that is constantly present on this forum. Thanks, Mike

• 1 month later...

.that would've been a neat piece to have, esp. out of the 25 cent box!

Geez.....I would take a chance for a mere .25

• 5 months later...
Guest Earl Bypass

Hello all. I was searching for some info on this peculiar find. My father flew 85 CBI Hump missions, mostly in C-46s. Among his medals, I came across this smaller Green Banana sans the star on top.

Appears I am having trouble embedding this... just click on the link. I will drop in occasionally to see what other information is out there.