36th Inf and 2nd Armored bullion uniform

I wanted to make this post soon, but I have had a super busy week with school, but last weekend I went to my first show post-COVID and managed to find some great items that surprised me. First is a duel patched 63rd and 36th Infantry uniform with combat leader stripes on both sides. This is my first uniform I have with combat leader stripes and while it is unfortunately unnamed I think the combination of patches and the Combat leader patch under a tech sergeant rank makes it a pretty interesting uniform. 

The second uniform that I found is a 2nd Armored Division jacket with a beautiful bullion shoulder patch that at one time had an attached wool tab, but has since been replaced with a bevo weave one. This uniform does have a laundry number of D-3692 but so far I have had no luck researching the previous owner. I hope I have luck soon however because the small size of the jacket makes me suspect that it may have belonged to a member of a tank crew who saw action in WW2 and then stayed on for the occupation. 

Hope you enjoy seeing both of these uniforms.

2nd Armd Div.jpg

36th Division.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2812 (1).jpg

donation2019.gif

13 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

how do you know there was a different tab on my see the 2nd armored? Just curious

Thank you both, and the reason I concluded that the patch originally a one piece felt tab attached to the bottom of the patch is that if you look carefully the bottom cornors of the patch you will see that the bottom edge of the patch is yellow. The patch was made by sewing three different wool pieces together with the three colors, so it really doesn't make much sense to have a small 4th strip of yellow wool run unevenly along the bottom unless it served some purpose, such as being a "Hell of wheels" tab that got damaged and cut off.  There is a somewhat similar patch on the back of the Cavalry Emblem of Honor book that also has an attached yellow wool tab on the bottom, I plan to get the book soon to try and learn more.

Additionally there appears to be very faint ghosting of threads that follows where the patch had originally been sewn on which extends beyond the bottom of the patch to where the current bevo tab is. I showed this to another member who agreed that a logical interpretation of this was that it once had a different tab which was removed and replaced. 

donation2019.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I thought it was a pretty good show although there were not many DUI or good patches that were not Air Force related. Both of these uniforms came from the same seller tho and I am thrilled to have them, you are right the bullion is really too cool and the uniform is extremely modified plus combat leader stripes on the other uniform is something I have been looking at getting for a while now. I was the college kid dragging his girlfriend around. Who knows I probably may have seen you at some point.

donation2019.gif

Great Bullion Patch !!!!!!!!!!

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Great looking jackets. I love the 2nd Armored Division bullion patch. I think there must have quite a number of 63rd veterans who went to the 36th after the war ended and vice versa. One veteran I met served with the 36th Infantry Division for 5 campaigns. He was sent to the 63rd when he was rotated back home.

donation2017.gif

Thanks! That bullion 2nd armored is definitely one of the best patches in my collection either on or off a uniform.  The 63rd/36th uniform is something I have been looking for a while now, not only because it has two divisions I did not have examples of yet but because of the combat leader stripe. I agree that it seems to be a not too uncommon patch combination.  From some research I did the 63rd was used to take high point vets from other units and rotate them back to the states, which makes sense then that you would see combinations like this.  I have also noticed that combat leader stripes seem most common on uniforms that are double patched to two divisions, although I have never seen an explanation for that.

donation2019.gif