Help needed in Navy Commander Research - Served on USS PRINCETON (CVL-23)

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

Gentlemen, I'm researching a veteran named John Collier Beckett (possible ID number of 81953) who was a commander in WW2 in the USNR. I'm trying to find the ship he served or commanded. One item shows he was a Lieutenant Commander but then the Lieutenant was removed so I guess he got promoted.  Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Salvage Sailor

Beckett, John C. Lieut., USS PRINCETON (CVL-23) 29 August 1944 (muster roll)

Notes:  USNR Received 8/5/44 From Navy Yard, Mare Island, CA for Duty

Know anything about the USS PRINCETON?  She was sunk during the Battle of Leyte Gulf.  Here is the account of her sinking from John "Jack" Beckett, CDR USNR (retd), see page 55 for his account including first hand biographical and career information

Regarding the sinking of the PRINCETON, my supervisor was a crewman who survived the sinking and even 30 years after the event, he was still angry at the Navy for leaving him and his shipmates in the water for hours while being attacked by sharks.....

USSPrinceton-Exploding-e1382554120612.jpg

John C Beckett.jpg

He was a lieutenant as of 6-15-1942.  Pay entry base date of 3/2/1937. He was a Engineer officer qualified for specials duties.  (From the 1944 Officer Register)

Made LCDR 12/17/1944. Designator is 1105 - unrestricted Line (from the 1951 Officers register).

Made Commander 9/30/1950 as a Engineering Duty Officer (from the 1961 Officer Register).

Retired 10/1961 from the 1972 Retired list of officers.

dhcoleterracina

Again thanks for the help in getting this information to me. I had googled his name but I didn't see the posted documents. Do I need to subscribe to Fold3? 

From a recent yard sale in Northern CA. The flag is a WW2 era Ensign #7 with ring top, rope edge, buckle bottom. The commissioning pennant was made at Mare Island in the 44-45 years. The cap is early 1950's and I don't know the era of the two dress belts. While he died in 1997, his wife just died a couple months ago and I guess the family didn't want these items. They meant a great deal to him in how well they had been preserved. These wool flags for example are so often moth hole riddled but not one on this flag.

After the USS Princeton was sunk, he was assigned to the USS New York, a WW1 era battleship. He was present at the naval bombardment of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. So many shells were fired that the gun barrels wore out. The barrels were going to be re-lined in Washington state in preparation for our invasion of Japan. The first atomic bomb was dropped on his birthday however.  After the war the USS New York was at Bikini but did not sink. It was used as target practice in 1948 and sunk then. 

I'd like to believe that the flag/pennant came from the USS New York because he didn't see sea service after WW2 from what I've learned about his career.  They certainly didn't come from the USS Princeton. I'm sorry he's not around to ask. 

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG