Homefront Production cuts and shortages - Cool news articles

stratasfan

I'm starting a thread, so that I can post the interesting homefront shortage and production cut articles I stumble on and always want to share! Some super interesting things are found in the papers from the war years. The one I remember is when the bakery delivery drivers union went on strike in (Chicago, I think) and while the bread was being made just as normal, they couldn't get it delivered to the places that made sandwiches, and the war plant workers were unable to get any so they were going lunchless for weeks. If I ever find the article, I'll post it! 

Found this just now, and it is super interesting, as I never thought of baby carriage/stroller manufacturing and shortages!

(LA Times, 24 Jun 1943)

image.png

General Apathy
23 hours ago, stratasfan said:

I'm starting a thread, so that I can post the interesting homefront shortage and production cut articles I stumble on and always want to share! Some super interesting things are found in the papers from the war years. The one I remember is when the bakery delivery drivers union went on strike in (Chicago, I think) and while the bread was being made just as normal, they couldn't get it delivered to the places that made sandwiches, and the war plant workers were unable to get any so they were going lunchless for weeks. If I ever find the article, I'll post it! 

Found this just now, and it is super interesting, as I never thought of baby carriage/stroller manufacturing and shortages!

(LA Times, 24 Jun 1943)

image.png

Hi stratasfan,

Good luck with this one,  I look forward to reading all and any pieces you add.  Interesting about the baby carriages, I have always been amused that there was still enough workforce leftover in the USA to produce wooden toys and such for the children during the conflict. 

Years ago when I lived in the UK I wanted to try and record all the war products that manufacturers made for the war effort while the work-force employees were still around to be interviewed, sadly never got around to it and most of the manufacturers closed down. 

regards lewis.

I've got more saved and will work on posting! Going to try and find that sandwich stirke, too! :) 

If anyone else finds a cool article on impacted production . . . feel free to share! I'm just going to start posting all the cool things I come across, but don't really have a reason to post at that moment! Now they'll be a place to do it! :)