Help with what is on this airman's pockets!

stratasfan

Hoping some of you experienced members can help me out with this quandry! This is a photo of a young man who was a co-pilot who was KIA in 1943. This was taken in 1942, and he is standing with his parents. (I'm making a Shutterfly book, and don't want Sis to fix the picture and remove something if it should be there or leave it, if it is just picture damage!)

Thos two white squares under each breast pocket flap . . . are they something? Or are they just damage on the picture? We couldn't tell, as they are so perfectly centered on each pocket. So, I thought I'd ask before we make the decision to leave or remove those white spots! Any thoughts appreciated! I do know that he was a flying instructor in the US before requesting a combat tour.

image.png

Close up with arrows:

image.png

Brand new shirt. He forgot to take off the inspection/cutter tags. Must have been in a hurry to see Mom and Dad. Notice the pants have not yet been hemmed to proper length.

Above is speculation.

Old Crow 1986

Cutter tags?

Here's a item on Ebay with all of its cutter tags in place. 

s-l1600.jpg.70269dfeb8b11d99b21980df75547211.jpg

Size and location match to the two, symmetrically placed, defined, shapes on the Airman's shirt.

Maybe the cadet was in such a hurry to get a picture with Mom and Dad - and wanting to look razor sharp, grabbed his newest freshest uniform - and overlooked a couple of small details. Wouldn't be to silliest thing a Cadet/2nd Lieutenant ever did.

"Are they something?"  Well, nothing official.  My guess is it's a case of Lieutenant enthusiasm getting in the way of attention to detail.  Should warrant a "MISTER! Did you look in the mirror when you dressed this morning?!?" "Two demerits, mister" from his TI.

"...damage to the picture.."  Nope.  Too regular, perfectly symmetrical, and fit the shadowing and contouring of the shirt perfectly.  

Whatever they are they were on his shirt in 1942. 

Leave'em.   

EDIT - 72psb hit the SEND button just in front of me.  Same conclusion..Kinda sweet that the Cadet/Second Lieutenant wanted to look good for his Mom and Dad.

Thank you both so very much! I will have Sis leave those spots! :) That is so cute, is right! Really cool to see the picture, too, of the tags on a real shirt. I really appreciate the help! I was getting ready to have Sis digitally clean the picture, and then noticed that they looked awfully symmetrical! :)