Ammo Can Repacked Lot SLB91889

armysoldierant1944

armysoldierant1944

Hello Folks,

Could anyone help me ascertain if the repacked lot number on the can points out to WW2 production? I believe "SL" would mean St. Louis Ordnance Plant.

Richard

AmmoCan.jpg

Yes, your box contained WWII production rounds. St. Louis repacked lot numbers during the war ran from SL-B-91525 through 93711.

Hope this helps. 

Charlie

armysoldierant1944

Hello Charlie,

Thanks so much and that helped!! Is there any reference you can point out for these lot numbers?

Richard

Nice can. I have one similar, both in linked and belted. Took a few years to find the correct belts, links and WW2 dated ammo. Complete, correct full( or at least the top row) WW2 ammo cans a rarity today, worth finding a Russell dated belt with dated ammo ( SL still the easiest to find).

Richard, the Ordnance Dept. printed service bulletins twice a year during the war that listed the lots and grades made to that point of the primary small arms ammunition made under contract.  They were OFSB 3-5 until 1943, then renames SB 9-AMM 4 going forward. The official title is "Small Arms Ammunition Lots and Grades" and it took me years to build my wartime set. Great reference and worth the effort if you collect WWII small arms ammo since the lot number is often the only way to date a wartime container. Glad I could help.

armysoldierant1944
On 10/26/2020 at 9:41 AM, silverplate said:

Richard, the Ordnance Dept. printed service bulletins twice a year during the war that listed the lots and grades made to that point of the primary small arms ammunition made under contract.  They were OFSB 3-5 until 1943, then renames SB 9-AMM 4 going forward. The official title is "Small Arms Ammunition Lots and Grades" and it took me years to build my wartime set. Great reference and worth the effort if you collect WWII small arms ammo since the lot number is often the only way to date a wartime container. Glad I could help.

Thanks again, Charlie. Would you know if there is any site where a pdf copy can be downloaded?

I've never been able to find a pdf copy online. Even searching the specific bulletin numbers usually fails to turn up anything. For me, my motivation to search revolved around my replica ammo box business, and the desire to have an accurate list of WWII lot numbers for them. I also like to be able to help forum members when wartime lot number questions come up.

armysoldierant1944
On 10/30/2020 at 12:05 AM, silverplate said:

I've never been able to find a pdf copy online. Even searching the specific bulletin numbers usually fails to turn up anything. For me, my motivation to search revolved around my replica ammo box business, and the desire to have an accurate list of WWII lot numbers for them. I also like to be able to help forum members when wartime lot number questions come up.

Hello Charlie,

So nice of you to be available to members in need of info. I have another one please? This one is a Lake City lot - LCB90700. Is that WW2?

Best regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Your lot number is WWII, and it was a web belt that contained Armor Piercing (M2) and Tracer (M1) .30 caliber rounds.

Glad to help.

Charlie

armysoldierant1944
8 hours ago, silverplate said:

Hi Richard,

Your lot number is WWII, and it was a web belt that contained Armor Piercing (M2) and Tracer (M1) .30 caliber rounds.

Glad to help.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

thanks again so much! You were spot on! It was indeed belted 4AP - 1TR! Do you also have a reference for 50 cal lot numbers? I have here in my collection - POD L101350

Another question: I have some cans that weren't repacked lot marked but simply were stenciled 4AP-1TR. Weren't all ammo boxes assumed to be repacked lots?

Best,

Richard

Richard,

Repacked lots of .30 caliber were typically boxed rounds that were taken from the boxes and "repacked" in belts or links, hence the new lot number. Towards the end of the war, some plants took rounds directly from manufacturing and put them in belts or links with a dedicated lot number for the rounds. Repacked or not, all ammunition was required by regs. to have the lot number recorded for tracking purposes in case of problems with that batch. If there is no lot number on the box, it probably didn't have ammo in it.

Your .50 cal box is from Pueblo Ordnance Depot (POD), a dedicated repacking facility, but was probably repacked post war as most of the WWII lot numbers I have are for boxed rounds from the manufacturing plants. Those plants repacked their own rounds and marked the boxes accordingly. The box would have had a repack card inside with the linked belt, showing the original lot numbers. Here's an example.

IMG_2921.JPG

armysoldierant1944
42 minutes ago, silverplate said:

Richard,

Repacked lots of .30 caliber were typically boxed rounds that were taken from the boxes and "repacked" in belts or links, hence the new lot number. Towards the end of the war, some plants took rounds directly from manufacturing and put them in belts or links with a dedicated lot number for the rounds. Repacked or not, all ammunition was required by regs. to have the lot number recorded for tracking purposes in case of problems with that batch. If there is no lot number on the box, it probably didn't have ammo in it.

Your .50 cal box is from Pueblo Ordnance Depot (POD), a dedicated repacking facility, but was probably repacked post war as most of the WWII lot numbers I have are for boxed rounds from the manufacturing plants. Those plants repacked their own rounds and marked the boxes accordingly. The box would have had a repack card inside with the linked belt, showing the original lot numbers. Here's an example.

IMG_2921.JPG

Thanks so much for the info and pic, Charlie. Very nice card. Are both the lot numbers and repacked lot numbers WW2? I have a box I am evaluating and the repacked lot number on the box is D.M. - L-21573 and was wondering if it was WW2?

armysoldierant1944
50 minutes ago, silverplate said:

Richard,

IMG_2921.JPG

Also wondering if this was WW2. Repacked lot TW-L18912 API M8...I believe this would be Twin Cities

Richard,

Your first lot # DM-L-21573 appears to be an API lot (M8) from 1945. Your other lot# TW-L-18912 is an API lot (M8) from 1944.

The repack card shown in my photo is from 1944. It's interesting to note that the original lot numbers are 5 digit, while the repack number is 6 digit. A new lot number was typically assigned when more than one original lots of ammunition were used together on the same belt. Repacked .30 caliber boxes also contained a repack lot card when assembled for the same reason. Below is a photo of a .30 caliber box and repack card.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

101_2742.JPG

armysoldierant1944
On 11/3/2020 at 11:04 AM, silverplate said:

Richard,

Your first lot # DM-L-21573 appears to be an API lot (M8) from 1945. Your other lot# TW-L-18912 is an API lot (M8) from 1944.

The repack card shown in my photo is from 1944. It's interesting to note that the original lot numbers are 5 digit, while the repack number is 6 digit. A new lot number was typically assigned when more than one original lots of ammunition were used together on the same belt. Repacked .30 caliber boxes also contained a repack lot card when assembled for the same reason. Below is a photo of a .30 caliber box and repack card.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

101_2742.JPG

Beautiful! Just beautiful!! Thanks again, Charlie!

Hello. I have a 50cal WW2 can I purchased a couple of years ago at an antiques mall. I'm assuming the ammo can is WW2 production. The lot number on the back says 47. Is this a repacked WW2 can with post war ammo?

Thanks, Scott

50cal1.jpg

50cal2.jpg

50cal3.jpg

That's a WWII can, but not the normal ordnance plant markings from the war. Here's what a wartime can would look like:

thumbnail_FullSizeRender2.jpg

• 7 months later...
Tommy cilia
On 8/11/2020 at 23:27, silverplate said:

Es una lata de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, pero no las marcas normales de la planta de artillería de la guerra. Así se vería una lata de guerra:

thumbnail_FullSizeRender2.jpg

Hi Charlie, I want to ask you if this ammo box is from the Second World War era, I understand that it is from the St. Louis plant. greetings I hope your help

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-14 at 14.03.18.jpeg

Tommy cilia
1 minute ago, Tommy cilia said:

Hi Charlie, I want to ask you if this ammo box is from the Second World War era, I understand that it is from the St. Louis plant. greetings I hope your help

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-14 at 14.03.18.jpeg

The lot is SL.L 93011 

silverplate

My guess on your can is a post-war repack for Korea. I don't have any 50 caliber repacked lot numbers in my bulletins, only .30 caliber.  Sorry.

Tommy cilia
2 minutes ago, silverplate said:

Supongo que tu lata es un reenvasado de posguerra para Corea. No tengo ningún número de lote reembalado calibre 50 en mis boletines, solo calibre .30. Lo siento.

Thanks brother ,What information do you use?  I want to find out about the subject

Tommy cilia
8 minutes ago, silverplate said:

My guess on your can is a post-war repack for Korea. I don't have any 50 caliber repacked lot numbers in my bulletins, only .30 caliber.  Sorry.

another question, because I know you know a lot.  What does it mean if it has been repackaged?. best regards