gas can preservation?

gunner

here is a post i put up about some old gas tanks i have... they are rusting on the inside and the outside, how can i clean these up and preserve them.

all thats been done since i found them is i had my dad who is a master technician bring them to work and use a solvent of some sort that cleaned them out of all gas... one had gas in it and the other diesel when we found them.

thanks! :D

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=34767

Do you ever want to use them again for fuel?.

If yes, then the acid bath method is probably necessary.

If no, then there are several ways and solvents and preservatives to swish around in there for sealing the interior from more rust.

Do you ever want to use them again for fuel?.

If yes, then the acid bath method is probably necessary.

If no, then there are several ways and solvents and preservatives to swish around in there for sealing the interior from more rust.

nope these are to be preserved, maybe there abundent and cheap nowadays but in another 20, im sure they wont be... even if my thinking is wrong i dont feel right using an old piece of military equiptment for personal use (just how i feel about my stuff, not putting down anyone who does)

so id rather clean them, stop the rust and put them away until i can display them.

i was wondering for the outside rust should i use the teqnique with a green scotch bright pad and wd40 like recomended for an m1 helmet?