Not Sure What To Think About This!

SKIPH

Hey gang! Found this on ebay this morning. It's a what I would call mint a V-42 long scabbard. It is beautiful. Ebay item # 174487971675. The seller has a Buy Now price of $2995. I just can't see anyone shelling out that much money, at least a normal collector.  Now if you have very deep pockets, and a mint V-42 maybe you could make the investment.  When you think that a V-42 made in WW2, cost around $6.50 it's amazing. Now days, most of the V42s I see are around $5000+, but have seen them as high as $12,000. To invest $3000 for just the scabbard  I have trouble justifying it. If you don't have a V42, but get the scabbard "just in case", I doubt you could recuperate the money spent. Not arguing the rarity of a lose V-42 scabbard, it is. Just seems extremely high to me.  If some one could post the ad it would be  appreciated. SKIP

On 10/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, siclfde said:

There is a mint V42 on Frank T's site right now for the discerning shopper with very deep pockets.

That’s what I was thinking, but not with my pockets. You’d wind up at sales $$ Skiph mentioned and have a top condition set. Not easy to find in that condition. I find myself very fortunate to have my set with issues.

EmperorWangDong
5 hours ago, Frank Trzaska said:

Not anymore, sold!

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Dang, had my eye on that one. I guess I'll just have to be happy with the one I have for now - I only paid $500 for it so I can't complain, just wish the scabbard was in a bit better shape but no way am I dropping $3K on a scabbard.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 9:18 PM, SKIPH said:

Hey gang! Found this on ebay this morning. It's a what I would call mint a V-42 long scabbard. It is beautiful. Ebay item # 174487971675. The seller has a Buy Now price of $2995. I just can't see anyone shelling out that much money, at least a normal collector.  Now if you have very deep pockets, and a mint V-42 maybe you could make the investment.  When you think that a V-42 made in WW2, cost around $6.50 it's amazing. Now days, most of the V42s I see are around $5000+, but have seen them as high as $12,000. To invest $3000 for just the scabbard  I have trouble justifying it. If you don't have a V42, but get the scabbard "just in case", I doubt you could recuperate the money spent. Not arguing the rarity of a lose V-42 scabbard, it is. Just seems extremely high to me.  If some one could post the ad it would be  appreciated. SKIP

W@W - I did a double-take when I saw that listing was for SCABBARD only. Just incredible, this market for these leather paratrooper sheaths.