Reissue Bronze Star to WWII WAC Officer who was WIA

USMarineCorps

USMarineCorps

Hi all,

I just saw this Bronze Star on Ebay and thought it was interesting.

At first I didn't think much of it, but when I saw (what appears to be) the exact same medal in an article, it got a whole lot better.

To quote the article:

"Originally stationed in Bushey Park, London, the WAC’s accompanied SHAEF in its move to France. Arriving in Normandy on D-Day +20, they were assigned to the Forward Echelon, Communications Zone, manning switchboards recently vacated by the Germans. These women worked out of tents, cellars, prefabricated huts and switchboard trailers. Her next assignment was to Headquarters, Special Intelligence, Forward SHAFE, APO 1, where she worked on many classified projects. While in France and later in Germany, Nan collected battlefield facts for future planning, was a combat intelligence analyst staff officer, and helped write the history of one of the outstanding engineering feats of the war: construction of the petroleum pipeline system. This system was constructed at a rate of 70 miles a day, extending from the beaches to the fighting fronts. When the first Allied troops entered Paris, the pipeline was only 35 miles behind them.

On July 29, 1944 she was wounded by a German sniper, becoming one of only 16 WAC’s to receive the Purple Heart. The majority of these wounded WAC’s received their wounds as a result of shrapnel injuries encountered from exploding V-1 attacks on England. Major Rice’s other awards include the Bronze Star; Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster; the Army Good Conduct Medal; WAC Service Medal; Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp; and the National Defense Medal. She also was entitled to the American Campaign Medal; the European-African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with four bronze stars (Normandy Campaign, Northern France Campaign, the Ardennes Campaign and the Rhineland Campaign); and the World War II Victory Medal (see the cover). In addition, she held a sharpshooter qualification badge with pistol bar.

In 1945 Frances received a battlefield commission to Lieutenant while serving as Chief, Army Service Clubs and Tours Branch during the transfer of the Red Cross Clubs and the troop phase-down. This assignment was with the Office of Special Services, Headquarters, ETOUSA, APO 757 (Frankfurt, Germany). Nan remained in Europe until 1947 returning to the Pentagon, Washington, DC. where she served as club program director in Special Services with the Department of the Arl~y’s, Office of Special Services. These duties were followed by three years recruiting and training college women to take over the club programs in Korea, Guam, Alaska, Hawaii, Europe and the Caribbean. Her remaining assignments were in comptroller and manpower functions at Fort Benning, Georgia. In 1957, Frances W. Rice resigned from the Army to marry Lieutenant Colonel Jean Shute, a career Army officer. They had one child, Jean Derby Shute."

Not sure what happened to her PH, ARCOM, and GCM as they were not included in the sale.

Fred

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 17.21.23.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 17.21.47.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 17.22.21.png

USMarineCorps

Here's her reissue ARCOM. I spent more on this small grouping than I wanted to, but the OSS connection as well as her story make this a unique set in my opinion...

s-l1600-24.jpg

s-l1600-25.jpg

USMarineCorps

I thought this was a very interesting grouping, and am a bit surprised with the lack of input. Unfortunately I was unable to find much else on this WAC officer, but I'm sure there is more out there. Fold3 didn't turn up much, and I only found her name in several Army registers.

Amazing! I am so glad you were able to reunite one of her medals. Her medal grouping on the cover of the magazine is amazing. Thank you so much for posting her story.

...Kat