Vintage .45 ACP ammo

Scottz63

Some more early ones, the FA 9 11 is from the first military run. Of course it's the only 9 11 I have, but I've heard of complete 20rd. boxes popping up before.

Screenshot_20201022-122208_Photos.jpg

1 hour ago, viking4zero said:

Scottz63, are you a  collector of cartridges? I have some early doubles.

Just old .45 ACP, actually these are my first three.

1 hour ago, digi-shots said:

Do you have an FA 42 headstamped ones?

I found Evansville Chrysler, Evansville Chrysler Sebring, and WCC, All 42s, No FA.

1 hour ago, Scottz63 said:

Just old .45 ACP, actually these are my first three.

Only curious, but did you have to pay anything for them? Anything I have doubles of, I'll give you. The earliest is a FA 11 11

6 hours ago, viking4zero said:

Only curious, but did you have to pay anything for them? Anything I have doubles of, I'll give you. The earliest is a FA 11 11

I payed $1 each for them. Wow! That would be awesome! I would really like to have any dated 1917, maker not important. I need at least 3 more rounds of any vintage .45 ACP to go with my display. 

Thanks, Scott

Interesting posts and very nice pictures. I'm not a cartridge collector but have picked up a few odds & ends over the years. I've got a couple of 20rnd. boxes of Frankford Arsenal .45ACP. The one was opened and is headstamped  FA 28. The other is still sealed but looks to be a later issue. Do the lot numbers give any indication to the year of manufacture?  Is the printed information on the box any indication of the period is was made?  The boxes are both wrapped in saran wrap so the photos are not real good, but I'm lazy and don't want to re-wrap them.  One last question- Are there any good websites for military ammo collectors?   Thanks.

DSCN0977-1.JPG

DSCN0975-1.JPG

Collecting .45 ACP cartridges can be fascinating and challenging at the same time. The lot number can help date the boxes, but only if you have access to the service bulletins that were put out by the Ordnance Dept. annually. Frankford Arsenal was the primary supplier of the cartridges, supplemented by contracts during WWI and WWII. The .45 ACP cartridge was made in ball, tracer/signal, shot, and high pressure test, to name a few. The earliest cartridges were made in 1906, when the automatic pistol was undergoing developmental trials. Here are some photos of that early box, the rounds headstamped "FA 04 06" and the date stamped on the bottom of the box.

1906 box label 2.jpg

1906 box date 2.jpg

9 hours ago, Scottz63 said:

I payed $1 each for them. Wow! That would be awesome! I would really like to have any dated 1917, maker not important. I need at least 3 more rounds of any vintage .45 ACP to go with my display. 

Thanks, Scott

Message me your address, I'll send a few loose ones.

3 minutes ago, silverplate said:

Collecting .45 ACP cartridges can be fascinating and challenging at the same time. The lot number can help date the boxes, but only if you have access to the service bulletins that were put out by the Ordnance Dept. annually. Frankford Arsenal was the primary supplier of the cartridges, supplemented by contracts during WWI and WWII. The .45 ACP cartridge was made in ball, tracer/signal, shot, and high pressure test, to name a few. The earliest cartridges were made in 1906, when the automatic pistol was undergoing developmental trials. Here are some photos of that early box, the rounds headstamped "FA 04 06" and the date stamped on the bottom of the box.

1906 box label 2.jpg

1906 box date 2.jpg

Awesome! 2 piece box, with string to open it?

Here's a photo of the inside of a similar box. I then used the photos to create a replica of that box for a client who wanted a display piece, but couldn't locate an original. The second photo is my replica.

1906 box open (2).jpg

FA 1906.jpg

That is a nice example of the developmental work that Frankford did before and during the war. Here's a pre-war round developed by Frankford to test rebuilt pistols.

FA HPT.jpg