M1918 "Pershing" Coat Question

bertmedals

I'm seeking some assistance from the forum on this.  I encountered what appears to be a M1918 Army uniform coat today.  I think it came out of a costume shop so there are some "creative additions" to it but it is probably salvageable.  One thing that got me was that it has belt support hooks on the back of the coat.  I am not particularly welversed in the M1918 coat so I'm wondering if the hooks are typical of that model coat.  Thanks in advance for any insight anyone may have.  

I'm attaching one picture of the hooks.

Thanks,

Dennis

20201019_131448 3.jpg

What does the front look like? Might have been modified post-WW1 and used in the 20's/30's when the enlisted uniform had the belt as those belt loops are like what you see on the pre-ww2 enlisted uniforms. what is the collar type?

Hunt

Hunt,

Here's a picture of the front.  It appears unmodified to me.  But it does have a mix of insignia (78th Div on the shoulder and 37th Div on the collar).  Buttons were replaced also.

20201019_131431 3.jpg

US Victory Museum

The belt hooks are not part of Specification 1356 (Aug. 28th, 1918-Mar. 25th, 1919) which defined this service coat.

It would have had darkened brass collar disks, as well as uniform buttons.   Any additional photos of the lining and/or

maker's tag?

47 minutes ago, US Victory Museum said:

The belt hooks are not part of Specification 1356 (Aug. 28th, 1918-Mar. 25th, 1919) which defined this service coat.

It would have had darkened brass collar disks, as well as uniform buttons.   Any additional photos of the lining and/or

maker's tag?

Thanks for that info.  I neglected to take a photo of the lining but it has a full lining in a light khaki/tan color that is probably cotton.  Here is a picture of the manufacturer's tag.

20201019_131544 3.jpg

Those chevrons look more like 20's-30's. I'm guessing this could be a national guard uniform, they had a lot more lax regulations opposed to regular army. Especially with the 78th and 37th division insignia. I'm not as well versed in interwar uniforms as other members here aer, but if I had to make an educated guess, that would be it. 

Hunt,

Thanks for the additional observations.  I think the mix of insignia and the connection to a costume shop makes this one difficult if not impossible to sort out.  When I first saw it hanging on a rack in an antique store I thought (and hoped) it would be a clean 78th Division M1918.  After the comments and observations here and my own assessment I think this is one to take a pass on.

Again many thanks to those who offered opinions.

Dennis

The buttons and brass collar insignia are correct for the post-WWI period and the coat was made in 1919. After the war the Army went back to brass insignia and the standing collar coat was worn until 1926. I would guess this uniform was worn right around 1926 during the wear out period because of the later style of strips, the belt hooks were probably added to conform the the newer style of wearing a garrison belt. The National Guard were the last to get new uniforms and equipment so I can see them wearing the old uniform with newer insignia. This was a common occurrence when the Army switched to the Army Green uniform in the mid-1950s, Ike jackets with yellow strips are often seen. I have no problem with this uniform as it stands except maybe the collar insignia, what are the numbers on them and branch?

14 minutes ago, QED4 said:

The buttons and brass collar insignia are correct for the post-WWI period and the coat was made in 1919. After the war the Army went back to brass insignia and the standing collar coat was worn until 1926. I would guess this uniform was worn right around 1926 during the wear out period because of the later style of strips, the belt hooks were probably added to conform the the newer style of wearing a garrison belt. The National Guard were the last to get new uniforms and equipment so I can see them wearing the old uniform with newer insignia. This was a common occurrence when the Army switched to the Army Green uniform in the mid-1950s, Ike jackets with yellow strips are often seen. I have no problem with this uniform as it stands except maybe the collar insignia, what are the numbers on them and branch?

Many thanks for that further explanation.  The collar disks are US with superimposed Ohio on the wearer's right and crossed pistols over MP on the left.  

The collar insignia could be a problem. Reserve divisions will often pull units from other states but it is usually an adjacent one, the 78th was from New Jersey and Ohio is a little far away. I could not find the order of battle for the division from between the wars so don't know what units were in it. Collar insignia are easily removed and replaced so the US disc could have gotten mixed up over the years or could be right. The MP disc would make sense with the belt hooks to support an MP's leather equipment belt. All in all I would say it is a very interesting between the wars uniform.

10 hours ago, QED4 said:

The collar insignia could be a problem. Reserve divisions will often pull units from other states but it is usually an adjacent one, the 78th was from New Jersey and Ohio is a little far away. I could not find the order of battle for the division from between the wars so don't know what units were in it. Collar insignia are easily removed and replaced so the US disc could have gotten mixed up over the years or could be right. The MP disc would make sense with the belt hooks to support an MP's leather equipment belt. All in all I would say it is a very interesting between the wars uniform.

Thanks very much for that.  I am pretty sure the collar disks are reproductions. The overseas stripe appeared original to the coat.  I'm not sure about the 78th DIvision SSI.  It looked like an original WW1 era patch but needs more study ito confirm that in my opinion.  

50 minutes ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Looks like a great interwar uniform to me. I have not seen reproduction post ww1 collar disks especially state examples. 

Thank you -- I'm warming up to it myself.