SEAL Afghanistan-used AK47 Mags

Mr. Scratch

This came up with a former NAVSOF personnel during a discussion about unusual AK magazines. 

The sailor said he obtained these scarce Russian aluminum mags in Kunar Valley, and then repurposed them for his own use in-country by applying camouflage, as the black finish had mostly worn off and "they were too shiny."

I was very curious about whether SEAL use of Kalashnikovs was an official thing, or if it was just a matter of having an unofficial backup weapon around in a vehicle or at the FOB. But he wasn't super talkative about any of this, and I didn't want to pry. All he said was that they had this stuff around for "going out in the daylight"; the conversation was really about the magazines themselves.

Is anyone more familiar with how these would be put to use in Afghanistan?

NAVSOFakuminummags.jpg

Those are beautiful aluminum waffle mags.  Very cool.  Cant be many of those on the whole globe someone would re purpose and paint like that.  Very very unique.

CNY Militaria

Probably when they wore civvies, riding in civilian vehicles around the local populace. Not well advertised, but happened and you needed to "blend in."

5 minutes ago, CNY Militaria said:

Probably when they wore civvies, riding in civilian vehicles around the local populace. Not well advertised, but happened and you needed to "blend in."

This is kind of how I interpreted the "going out in daylight" remark. I'd imagine there are some places where you don't want the local shepherds seeing a bunch of guys on the nearby hillside carrying American weapons, and scurrying off to tell the village chief about it. 

A lot of guys working for the CIA in the early months of the war on terror had AKs, a lot of these personnel were former SF, or on loan from SF units.  Further info and pictures can be found in books like “First In” and “Jawbreaker”.