M1 helmet found in a stack of M1 helmets in a local Army Navy store

tthen

Just as the title indicates I found this helmet in a stack of helmets. Not really a helmet guy but was wondering what you guys think.

If nothing can be found due to my crappy photography I guess it will have to remain a mystery cause that's really the best I can do.

Thanks

Tom

helm1.jpg

helm2.jpg

helm3.jpg

helm4.jpg

4 hours ago, MattS said:

McCord 1951 contract shell wearing black (I think) buckled-on straps used in the 1960s. 

Thanks for the reply MattS, excuse my ignorance but what does wearing black mean?

2 hours ago, capa said:

I'd snag it because of the cool ghost markings, etc. Good Korean War helmet.

Thanks capa, appreciate the reply. 

11 hours ago, tthen said:

Thanks for the reply MattS, excuse my ignorance but what does wearing black mean?

Full comment was "wearing black (I think) buckled-on straps ". The 1951 shells should have buckled-on straps with the hardware painted light green, this appears to have black hardware meaning the straps were probably replaced (possibly due to damage) in the 1960s. Unless they are actually green (I can't tell) in which case they are probably the original straps. 

3 hours ago, MattS said:

Full comment was "wearing black (I think) buckled-on straps ". The 1951 shells should have buckled-on straps with the hardware painted light green, this appears to have black hardware meaning the straps were probably replaced (possibly due to damage) in the 1960s. Unless they are actually green (I can't tell) in which case they are probably the original straps. 

OK Matt, got it. Thanks

Your stack of helmets comment gave me flashbacks to 25-30 years ago when a long-gone shop had several 55-gallon drums filled with M1 helmets with liners for 5 bucks each.  I didn't know about fixed bales or any of that at the time.  Imagine what could have been in those things!  Glad to were able to snag a good one! 

Mikie

Thanks everyone for the comments. Can someone give me a ballpark idea for what they think I should pay from what they can see from my not so good pictures.

Thanks again

Tom

11 hours ago, tthen said:

Thanks everyone for the comments. Can someone give me a ballpark idea for what they think I should pay from what they can see from my not so good pictures.

Thanks again

Tom

Empty 1951 contract shell, no liner and replaced straps, $25 max for me. In July, I bought a front seam fixed loop (both loops broken off) for $20. 

A surplus store I visited often in the 80s had 1960s-70s helmet shells and liners for $5 each plus $2 for a camo cover and band. For $12 you could assemble a Vietnam era helmet, and I did more than once!