ww2 usmc hbt mystery

jeeplover

ok i bought a nice ww2 uniform pants and top the pants are the m41 very light you can see the unis mark. it is a fourth marine division . the four on top is rank i believe the numbers on the inside are 477? ok here is the strange part i will attach a link to where i bought it his pictures will be way better than mine    https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-usmc-hbt-herringbone-twill-p44-combat-field-utility-named-set-jacket-and-pants?variant=31894358130757

ok we see the name R.W. KIRBY. i looked on this site for a kirby   https://1stbattalion24thmarines.com/the-companies/biographies/william-r-kirby/  i found a W.R KIRBY. is it possible that the info on the site is wrong and if not how crazy is it 2 guys named kirby get the same pants. y problem with all of the is he was the only kirby with those initials i found in the 4th marine division. let me know what you guys think.

20201018_155829_Film2.jpg

There is no “7” as a part of the BN / Company designation.  

Those are “2”s, meaning E-2-24.  The “4” above the semi-circle is for the rank of Lieutenant.  

The name is on the top and the unit is on the pants you are only assuming that they belonged to the same man. If you read the ad it only says it is a set not one uniform they leave that up to you. Also the top is p-1944 and the pants are P-1941, I'm not sure how the Marines felt about mixing and matching uniforms back then, it wouldn't fly today but maybe during the war you get away with it.

the pants have the letters ki in them looks like the beginning of  the name ki   rby/ kirby. not saying it is but it is strange to me how a guy named kirby got the pants of another guy named kirby in the same division after the war? was unis changed after the war? i have read no where that mix matching was not done in fact in grunt gear it goes against that theory in the beginning they used a mix of army and marine corps clothing and other gear so why would older pants if in good shape not be issued until stock is depleted. i hope more people chime in thank you all so much .

Captainofthe7th

There is a Robert W. Kirby in the muster rolls from 1955/56 (we'll say mid 50s) with service number O66326 which matches the collar stamp 6326 K.

I have seen tops and bottoms mixed between types (you get what's in stock whether it fits or not) and I have seen P41, 44 and any others used well post WWII as well.

Rob

1 hour ago, Captainofthe7th said:

There is a Robert W. Kirby in the muster rolls from 1955/56 (we'll say mid 50s) with service number O66326 which matches the collar stamp 6326 K.

I have seen tops and bottoms mixed between types (you get what's in stock whether it fits or not) and I have seen P41, 44 and any others used well post WWII as well.

Rob

Hi Rob - I saw him last night, but wasn’t he in the 2nd MARDIV?  

Captainofthe7th
9 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Hi Rob - I saw him last night, but wasn’t he in the 2nd MARDIV?  

I don't recall which unit, there were a couple listed through the year(s).  Definitely wouldn't be 4th Mar Div if it's post 1945.  If the UNIS mark and the name are a pair, then the set would date to 1945 or earlier before the 4th Marine Div was deactivated, correct?  If you limit your search to wartime only, your matches for R W Kirby are a few Roberts, none of whom were in 4th Div.  I did not investigate further to try to find their service numbers as they're not usually listed in WWII rolls.

In my opinion the set was reissued and retained the faded UNIS marking.  The name stamp is common to post war era and the laundry mark is a solid match.  I'm sure if you're looking for a UNIS marked WWII set no one wants to hear that opinion, but that's what I am seeing based on the information the HBTs hold.

Rob

cool i just wanted a nice ww2 usmc example. it is crazy a guy with your last name is issued a pair of pants and years later different war you get them. wonder if they were related.thank you guys for helping me figure this out.