USMC Dress Blues

Lancer-86

Hello guys,

Is there a reference or any information regarding the evolution of USMC enlisted men’s dress blues?  I see some with pockets and some without pockets.  Any way to tell if they are ww1, ww2, post ww2?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

With pockets is post WWII, they were adopted in 1947 if I remember correctly. 

That's about all I can contribute, but I believe the trousers in WWI and into the 1920s were a lighter "sky" blue as well. 

Hope this helps some. 

All the best,

Patrick

Brian Dentino

Pre-WWII blues would have the Phila. QMD stamp and a date in the inside of the sleeve and NO front pockets.  During WWII they did not issue dress blues and the ones that you find will be private purchase items.  These are extremely hard to nail down on both ID and date made.  Post war, as Patrick stated the Corps starting reissuing blues and had the pockets in the front below the belt.  I hope this helps and I am not wrong as I am not an expert nor am I at home to reference any of my materials right now.  Also, the USMC stopped wearing divisional patches on their uniforms shortly after WWII which could also help nail down a rough time frame of any particular set of Alphas or Blues.

30 minutes ago, Brian Dentino said:

During WWII they did not issue dress blues and the ones that you find will be private purchase items.  

I believe you are spot on with your info except that it is not entirely true that all ww2 dress blues are private purchase. I have a pair that are 1941-42 dated Phila. QMD stamped to a ship detachment marine who was an anti-aircraft gunner on an aircraft carrier. I believe I have read that it was fairly common for ship detachment marines, and a select few other positions, to still be issued dress blues. These exceptions are rare however and infantrymen and normal marines would need to have private purchase dress blues made if they want any. 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, Lancer-86 said:

Hello guys,

Is there a reference or any information regarding the evolution of USMC enlisted men’s dress blues?  I see some with pockets and some without pockets.  Any way to tell if they are ww1, ww2, post ww2?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some good information in this old thread: