Post WW2 Leather Liner Chin Strap Use with the M1 Helmet

huntssurplus

Fellow forum member James (jmd62) and I have been discussing the leather liner chinstrap for a little while now, and eventually we got onto the topic of post war use of the leather liner chin strap. I always thought it was only used in a garrison/MP/parade/dress setting only in the post war era, and not worn among frontline combat soldiers. However, James sent me this famous photo I was familiar with, but had not noticed the Leather Liner chinstrap being worn by the young marine in the photo. 

2129733787_AyoungprivatewaitsonthebeachduringtheMarinelandingatDaNangVietnamAugust31965.jpg.5624e8a1efea99a4ee9a84196e6484be.jpg.8a2ded1518479f92c550e43d9a404473.jpg

Anyways, I thought I would see if we could compile a thread of photos of the leather liner chinstrap in use in the post WW2 era. Also if you have any post WW2 era helmet sets with provenance with the leather liner chinstrap feel free to share them as well! 

Not a combat photo, but I found this one of a Marine machine gunner who served in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966. Leather chinstrap present.

Seath.jpg